Newbie about to buy first detector in Ballarat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Firstly, I have just joined this site because from a bit of reading it seems to be a straight down the line place with great info, good people, and open minded opinions. Sounds like the place for me! I am located in Ballarat, and am researching a bit before I buy my first beep beep machine... leaning towards the Minelab Ex-terra 305 as there is a supplier in town and looks like a good entry level choice.
My mum has 20 acres of bush in Napoleons with lots of old timer workings amongst the trees..... I am excited to get stuck into it.
Looking for relics and gold, whatever comes to light.... it's all interesting to me.
Any one with tips or knowledge on the area, feel free to pass it on!
Thanks!
:p

Welcome to the forum mate,
if you ever needed to learn something, this is the place to learn it and getting getting out there and doing it.
sounds like you have the perfect place to start detecting on, not that i have tips or secret spots to help with, just buy the best detector your budget can allow and have fun
Cheers Jamie

HHD - here is the Napoleon Lead, taken from an 1860 Buniyong Map. Not knowing too much about the area (I know the Bendigo Napoleon well), I guess (?) the Sons of Freedom working may have some influence over the area? (Apologies for image but its the best I can do.)

1426821916_capture11.png

here is some geovic data - red = shallow alluvial/workings - green = deep leads. You can get onto geovic (its free) at http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/maps-reports-and-data/geovic

1426822190_capture22.png

Latest posts