New Site

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Do you remember what the target ID was GW? How deep was it out of interest?

very sweet 12-20 and about 6 inches. That is half sovereign numbers and when I saw gold I thought for a second I had one. I have started using the GPS on the CTX waypoints as a bit of a reference for all that kind of info not just location.

goldwright said:
Heatho said:

very sweet 12-20 and about 6 inches. That is half sovereign numbers and when I saw gold I thought for a second I had one. I have started using the GPS on the CTX waypoints as a bit of a reference for all that kind of info not just location.

Yeah 12-20 is bang on what my Half Sov comes up as (was a present, not detected), Io've started using the gps also, pretty useful function especiaklly when you retain the other data with the find points.

So much junk around here that comes up as 12-20, usually old ringpulls, though I am starting to dig more of them as I clear a lot of the junk targets out and keep re-detecting areas.

I'm overdue for a nice gold ring, I've found a few but none for a while. :)

I reckon this ring of yours is the treasure find of the year on here.

Heatho said:
goldwright said:
Heatho said:

Yeah 12-20 is bang on what my Half Sov comes up as (was a present, not detected), Io've started using the gps also, pretty useful function especiaklly when you retain the other data with the find points.

So much junk around here that comes up as 12-20, usually old ringpulls, though I am starting to dig more of them as I clear a lot of the junk targets out and keep re-detecting areas.

I'm overdue for a nice gold ring, I've found a few but none for a while. :)

I reckon this ring of yours is the treasure find of the year on here.

Thanks mate it was cool as when I was cleaning it up all those words started to show and I was that is not a school I have heard of.
Yeah lots of junk come in with those numbers, full sovereign 12-30 and on this site are hundreds of old lead projectiles that come in at 12-28 to 12-31 but I just dig everything as about 2 months ago I got a little 9ct gold pendant that came up 12-10 but one of those sweet tones and that is usually those old pull tab tounges.

goldwright said:
This site just keeps giving up the goods. Quite a few silvers this morning with the kids then this thing. West Jefferson High School FL class of 1940 ring 10ct and Garnet about 8grams. My 6 years old daughter has decided it's hers, I just love being on holidays.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4651/1449370249_20151206_122841.jpg

nice - real nice actually.....

.....my first thought was did the owner survive the war.

The find presents a further opportunity to discover the identity of the owner - googling now ->

casper

casper said:
goldwright said:
This site just keeps giving up the goods. Quite a few silvers this morning with the kids then this thing. West Jefferson High School FL class of 1940 ring 10ct and Garnet about 8grams. My 6 years old daughter has decided it's hers, I just love being on holidays.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4651/1449370249_20151206_122841.jpg

The find presents a further opportunity to discover the identity of the owner - googling now ->

casper

I'm onto http://www.classmates.com/places/school/Jefferson-High-School/3359 but you need a name - is there one in the ring??

casper

casper said:
casper said:
goldwright said:

casper

I'm onto http://www.classmates.com/places/school/Jefferson-High-School/3359 but you need a name - is there one in the ring??

casper

Yeah done the same the ring only has initials on it either mss or ssw. I have a couple of people over on Detector Propector having a bit of a look into it. As there is no date on the ring either. But with all the research I found it look to be from the class of 1940 ish with images.

Found this little cool piece today only problem they punched a hole through a Near UNC 1910 Three pence. By far the best condition coin I have pulled out of the ground to date. All silver too.
1449637267_20151209_144511.jpg

So what do you mean by a WW2 spot? How do you know? Because of the coins you're finding?
New to this caper and trying to learn stuff.

I think I've come up with a couple of likely spots to target - just got to get the time to work them.

spatch said:
So what do you mean by a WW2 spot? How do you know? Because of the coins you're finding?

I think I've come up with a couple of likely spots to target - just got to get the time to work them.
Time so fleeting, yet left alone,
another bides his time
when all it took was first coil down
To win and take the prize.
And yet the distance tween now and then
falls back and forth through time,
so even though you are not late
the timing makes it mine.
. :lol: :D ;)

spatch said:

Mate a Council Library can have a wealth of knowledge if you are patient, as I have found google can give you some info but a library can have old newspaper clipping, old photos and stuff that has never made it to the internet. Listen to old people you run into when you are out swinging as they too have lots of good info. I am starting to realise any patch of dirt that has not been developed in the cities has more than likely got coins in it.

goldwright said:
Mate a Council Library can have a wealth of knowledge if you are patient, as I have found google can give you some info but a library can have old newspaper clipping, old photos and stuff that has never made it to the internet. Listen to old people you run into when you are out swinging as they too have lots of good info. I am starting to realise any patch of dirt that has not been developed in the cities has more than likely got coins in it.

So are you saying you did research to find a location where people congregated in the past?

I'm not after a spot, just wondering what you meant by 'WW2 site'? Was it a site they conducted training at etc? Or are you referring to it as a 'WW2' site due to the age of the coins etc?

I like the action shot gw,... they were just starting on snipping out that roo(a big no no back then), and had to ditch it for fear of being caught I'd say,... nice to see the silver popping too. :p

Latest posts