new member from Bendigo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have not long found this site and have just started to read through it. Great info, great to see that people are willing to share their knowledge & hints with us newbies. My brother, myself & my wife detect together and started about 6 months ago. We have managed to find a total of about 110 little bits. Most average about .25 to .5 grams, couple of 1 & 2 grammers. It is great fun now our kids have grown up and we love getting out bush, we come from the Vic Mallee originally and grew up in the bush. We have progressed now to using 2 GPX 5000 and a GPX 4500. But the best one of all was a 9.6 grammer we found with the original old Minelab 1600 !! Would love to go to the West and have a go. But we have only been detecting for about 6 months and still have a lot to learn yet. We had our best weekend recently with 18 pieces for about 6.5 grams, we were very happy. Looking forward to reading and learning more. Keep it coming.

Welcome to the forum dkd. You've progressed a fair way up the detecting tree running a 4500 and two 5000's. Glad you're finding the forum a great read, and hope you gain much valuable insight from the threads.

Look forward to hearing about those finds in the Bendigo region, and envious of you guys living on top of the gold. Best of luck out there.

Cheers Wal.

Welcome, love the fact that your old FT1600 found your largest nugget, was it very deep or a sunbaker?

Welcome to the forum guys, great 'home' base you've got there.
Great hit rate as well, even between the 3 of you that's good going and that 1 ouncer is probably just in that next hole ... we all wish.
Cheers Tom

thanks for the welcome everyone. It is lucky that we live here and you are absolutely right about it being ironic that the 16000 found the big bit, it was against a tree about an inch down. We have searched the area high and low and found absolutely nothing. We progressed to the 4500 and 5000's after hiring for a few times and so decided to swap having a better car for having a better life. Intend to go camping etc, enjoy the looking as much as the finding. Have been trying to research but don't really know what I'm looking for or how to go about it, that is why I enjoy the reading here. Also figuring out the best coils / settings etc for soils, etc. Like I said, still a lot to learn.

Latest posts