New Melb. lad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,I'm about to buy a metal detector and not sure which one should I buy.At the moment,I'm leaning towards the Equinox 800.Went to the demo at Minerden Mitcham and got some valuable infos but wondering if you guys can help a newbie to decide which one is best.Im looking forward of going gold prospecting in golden triangle during the upcoming summer time with the missus n 2 kids.

G'day Chinaman Gold welcome to PA great plan you have :Y: it's a great family activity. As for the machine choice it can be a mine field so to speak, so worth giving thought to the following hopefully others will jump in and offer their opinions as well.

1 Dedicated Gold detectors, how often are you likely to use the detector, how far from any gold fields are you. If your in Melbourne try hiring a SDC2300 and head to the gold fields. If you are looking to buy your first gold detector these are worth the money and retain resale value.

2 Coin and Relic detectors, if your in metro Melbourne these machines can be used at parks and beaches. It only takes one decent find (jewellery, gold with diamonds) to either pay it off or close to. As far as a find paying off equipment goes coin and relic machine are better placed than the mortgage breaker nuggets go not to many have achieved that dream but we try.

As far as making a living off prospecting goes most would say don't give up your day job. At the end of the day this hobby is great for getting outdoors and away from home. All the best when you do decide on your weapon of choice.

Welcome,

I fully agree with RM Outback regarding detectors.

Whites are about to release (Next Month - Tomorrow, I believe) a new Detector for prospectors.

This is a good hobby and one I am sure the kids will enjoy, especially playing in the water when panning.

Hi Chinaman, welcome.
Firstly the Equinox 800 is a great machine for coins etc. As for finding gold you will have to be very very lucky.
I have run one here in GT for a while and no gold. I would as mentioned above save your money and buy an SDC.
These will find gold and work really well on small gold.
Plus resale value is not too bad.

Cheers

Latest posts