Never done anything like this before

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine was indicating that I should invest in gold. He is concerned about the global economy and particularly with current world events he has been pushing me in that direction.

I thought why not combine my love of the outdoors and the excellent locality that I live in (near Cairns) and invest in a new or second hand gold detector.

I'll be exploring the forum, but if anyone has tips or tricks they would be appreciated. Also if anyone has a newbie friendly location they can recommend for a couple to explore that would be great (thinking camping, close to water and not a very busy locality - we like our privacy).

I'm thinking about gold detector and would be looking for one I could use in shallow creek beds (so coil or the whole unit would need to be water resistant) and would mix that up with panning. I have done panning a long time ago and got instruction from an old timer around the Palmer River area.

Very interested and excited about the opportunities (and I realise that I'm probably not got to find something straight up and it's going to take time and patience).

:goldnugget:

Welcome bud,
The Clohsey river toward Mareeba is good to find a nice quiet spot for a pan.
The Miners Den shop in Showgrounds Shopping centre will have some gear and local advice for you too.

Hi Noodles.

Welcome to PA. Firstly can I just say that if you are planning to invest in gold, you might like to buy shares! If you are interested in the great outdoors and coming across the occasional bit of colour, then keep on course with prospecting. If you want a fully submersible detector then the SDC 2300 is a terrific investment. I have had one for 2.5 years now ( in Victoria) and its been terrific in finding quite a few sub grammers. You just need to be sure you are doing all of this for the right reason though as detectors don't come cheap. Panning might be a better option..
cheers

Hi Noodles,

Welcome!

As Simmo mentioned, the Clohesy river has been known to contain a little gold. I've panned there a few times and haven't found anything yet, but I'm sure it's there.

Apart from that your next best option is Georgetown, with Flat Creek Station and Western Creek station being great places to pan & detect. Let me know if you want more info on these stations

Cheers

Latest posts