Need help with this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tho 9 mm predate the 12g as the old man got himself blown up in 1841 :8 and the sons continued the business, hence E.B. Or Eley Bros. on later cartridges.

Nice stuff Nightjar, at the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, (unless you've already emptied them) the cartridges could still work.
It takes a fair hit to drive the pin in but I have fired 5 mm and 11 mm pinfire ammunition that was over 100 years old and of 12 rounds only one failed to fire (got it on the second go). They're probably loaded with black powder so the force of the propellant may have diminished some what but still worth handling with care.

End of boring safety talk.

As a matter of interest did you find these on a farm or diggings?
Better late than never. They were found near the base of gumtree on the bank of a large creek North of Leonora. Definitely a gold bearing area. An old horse bell found there as well. Replaced photos PhotoBucket not on my computer anymore.

Eley.jpg Eley2.jpgEley3.jpgBell.jpg

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Never heard of a Pin Fire. Thanks NJ, appreciated. Mackka
Pin Fire bullets must be rare unfired like shown. I found one back in 1980 and have not seen another one since. To find two is a real achievement well done.

They weren't very popular. Imagine carrying a few of them in your pocket along with a few cartwheel pennies. Makes my eyes water just thinking about it! wiley.

Latest posts