Need help with this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic

Reaction score
1416903843_image.jpg
1416902303_image.jpg

1416902303_image.jpg
1416903843_image.jpg

this system is referred to as "pin fire" it's a sort of in between stage moving from purcusion caps loaded onto an external nipple to things like rim fire or centre fire cartridges.
the rifle or shotgun hammer drives the pin into the base of the cartridge where it strikes a detonator/percussion cap...and then the main charge goes off, expansion of gases and boom! Or something like that.
Nice find.

That's awesome ! The knowledge in this place is just amazing awesome knowledge amazing finds.....except for to many fuggets lol bring on more nuggets :D

hey Vic I wish I could find something that cool.
Wherever you're hunting, when you find expended rounds like that you're going to find so similarly old stuff - good work.

I only know about that stuff because (when I had money - before children) I owned antique revolvers which used that system.

Nice stuff Nightjar, at the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, (unless you've already emptied them) the cartridges could still work.
It takes a fair hit to drive the pin in but I have fired 5 mm and 11 mm pinfire ammunition that was over 100 years old and of 12 rounds only one failed to fire (got it on the second go). They're probably loaded with black powder so the force of the propellant may have diminished some what but still worth handling with care.

End of boring safety talk.

As a matter of interest did you find these on a farm or diggings?

I can be anything you like provided you give me a brand new SDC 2300 :)
Obviously I have an addiction and no dignity.

See what metal detecting has done to me?
It all started with a cheap xterra 305, now I'm hooked! Talk about a gate way drug.
Now I hang out in parks, walk into chest high water at midnight, rummage through old diggings.
It's never enough, I'm always looking for that next high tone....

Robert Le Mal said:
I can be anything you like provided you give me a brand new SDC 2300 :)
Obviously I have an addiction and no dignity.

See what metal detecting has done to me?
It all started with a cheap xterra 305, now I'm hooked! Talk about a gate way drug.
Now I hang out in parks, walk into chest high water at midnight, rummage through old diggings.
It's never enough, I'm always looking for that next high tone....

Love it, love it love it!!

Robert Le Mal said:
hey Vic I wish I could find something that cool.
Wherever you're hunting, when you find expended rounds like that you're going to find so similarly old stuff - good work.

I only know about that stuff because (when I had money - before children) I owned antique revolvers which used that system.

Found with the X terra 705 chasing that yellow stuff

makes you wonder if they were dropped where a bloke had his camp or maybe he was reloading at night and they just fell - laid there all this time.
I'd love to find stuff like that. I only find the base of modern shoty shells sometimes - and they get my hopes up for a coin because of their size & shape.

Latest posts