Native Dog Creek Sapphires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a hint, look outside the square for any (barely noticeable) river wash on top of higher ground, ridges etc. This is where you may find your gold.
The volcanics came later in the time scheme of things, gold in the oldest river washes, gemstones from the eroding of the volcanic basalts.
In the Black Springs area there are false bottoms with 1-2 wash layers beneath. I once dug a matchbox full of nice blues from 20cm. beneath the scraped floor of an abandoned dig.

Spent a lot of time in that area in the early '70's. Quite an amount of gold won from Chain of Ponds.

One thing you are going to find plenty of as the weather warms up, and that is angry tiger snakes. The buggers will chase you so keep a look out! 8)
mike

Thanks boobook, I'll leave the normal snakes be but the super aggressive ones MIGHT meet my 12g.
The river is in a small gully I'll check the higher ground.
I've got a thread in the introduction section (hi from black springs) to continue the conversation, I don't want to high jack this tread with irrelevant chat, you guys are awesome, I might put on a BBQ and dig day for the members close enough, or plenty of space to camp.

Matturbo said:
Heatho your welcome to dig my land in exchange for knowledge, AuFever and Digginholes are bringing their detectors to see if I like it and check the land

Hey Matt, that's a very nice offer, would be great to have a look around on the property with you and the other fellas, I'm still a bit of a novice but am learning fast, hopefully we can get you a show of colour from your property. A BBQ would be a great way to get to know everyone who comes along.

Will check out your other thread and post some info for you.

Good tips from Boobook too, thanks.

Hi Matt.
Don't worry about using those guinea fowl as early warning snake alarms, (magpies are just as good) will just bring the missus and me over to help cook an eatem!
Don't overlook the Little river, we used to deep dredge BIG sapphires there (the days of yore!)
mike

Goaana taste good .. Got fed a fishy steak one time" what's that" I asked " don't cook prawn with my steak ! Hate that ! " replied .... " nah mate .. Dat b d dah dooogun" ... Geeesh...

Matturbo said:
Karl that sounds like something a crock tooth wearing bloke would say :p
Ps, sorry for hijacking your thread, I'm just excited :8

No worries , it was dead anyhow. Good luck with your new place. I recon that whole Oberon area still got some good gold and gemstones to be discovered.
Karl

Kingsolomon said:
Goaana taste good .. Got fed a fishy steak one time" what's that" I asked " don't cook prawn with my steak ! Hate that ! " replied .... " nah mate .. Dat b d dah dooogun" ... Geeesh...

I used to have Abo mate, his cooking skills were bit basic. Whack it over the head and throw it in the fire. Then I spend some time in Philippines. Their culinary skills are bit more refined, but snakes are chewy and kind of tasteless. Goana, they call it crocodile, tastes quite good. But when you are hungry everything tastes good.
Karl

hey all,

does anybody know if riverview rd is still closed after the fossicking area where it crosses sapphire bend therefor stoping you from washing at the 2 dams

It was still closed last week mate.. I'm hoping to get up there Friday or Saturday for a bit of a dig so either I'll see you there or I'll let you know

I think with Native dog creek you might have to do some deep digging way from any fossicking reserve, find some new wash. A lot of people had dug there, not so much recently but in the past it was qutie popular. The chinese were there in the 1800's so not sure what they left behind, they were more efficient than the aussie old timers but were after gold so not sure what gemstones they left behind. Just tinkering around on a well travelled spot will reward you with nothing. Be a bit adventurous and you could be rewarded by your efforts.

Yours Prospecting

Conan

G'day Everyone, :)
It has been a long time since I posted some pretty colors
1413623503_gold689.jpg

From 1/2 ct to 5ct Sapphire,,,Enjoy :D

Cheers,
''B''

Latest posts