My Sons First Teasure Find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, My son is 8 and lives and breathes all things metal detecting. He recently purchased his own mine lab go find 40 and we went out today for some prospecting in a forest where a homestead used to be. He is so excited and thinks he found his first flat button. Could anyone help him please identify this and any info about it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Harrison(8) John(Dad)
1469962338_image.jpeg

Congratulations Harrison
Sorry i cant help either
But it sure is a beauty :D
I would love to find one for my collection too ;)

Thankyou everyone for your responses.
WOW!! Really Rocketaroo?! Do you think it would have any value to it as that is the first thing my son will ask? :)
It does look very old and in reasonable condition considering with some colour still showing through. Will have to have a look on the back but I don't recall seeing any gold guilding but that maybe due to not having been cleaned very well as didn't want to ruin the piece.
That brings another question as what would be the best way to clean the button without affecting it in anyway? Any help would be appreciated?

It is a beautiful intricate looking flat button and I am so proud and happy for my son to have found this. As soon as he gets home from school or any free time, he is researching anything to do with his new hobby, and for him to have found his first treasure like he see's others doing on the Internet, has put a sparkle in his eyes and smile on his face that I have never seen before. It is great to see as a parent as He is more determined now than ever to keep hunting for the treasure and gold:) and time for Dad to invest in a detector as well I think :D

Well done to Harrison, i cant help with value or any info really but i know the feeling of finding an old miners button, it sure helped with my enthusiasm to find more hidden treasures, again well done to him

No value in $, but priceless to your son's imagination. Was he researching enamel buttons, soak/wash in warm soapy water, soft cloth, maybe a soft toothbrush.

You are too right Rocketaroo! Priceless... And Thankyou for the hint of Enamel buttons as I had no idea and researched them last night and found the exact button in new condition. It is great to see it in its original state and adds to the thrill of the hunt trying to identify your find :)
Looking forward to our next treasure hunt. Thanks again to all.
1470134442_image.jpeg

1470134442_image.jpeg

Latest posts