My highbanker sluice mods and upgrades

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20xwater what have you done to make hopper into a boiling spa? sounds like a good thing especially if you have eliminated the spray over the sides as well. if you have a pic of it could you post it so that i could check it out? and others that run GSA bankers as well? cheers

josh086 said:
20xwater what have you done to make hopper into a boiling spa? sounds like a good thing especially if you have eliminated the spray over the sides as well. if you have a pic of it could you post it so that i could check it out? and others that run GSA bankers as well? cheers

hi josh, im no pro at this but I just didn't like how the high/past vertical riffles form an air pocket underneath them. I didn't like how the heavy's flowed over them so easy either.
I found then when flow rate and sluice angle is tuned right I like my sluice to behave in a hold heavy's on the top side of the riffles and despense slowly allowing the gold to not only drop below the riffles within the vortex(no air) but to drop in/between and under the heavy's on the top side. same as the riffles as the expanded itself.

ive also found that the feed rate is CRUCIAL. 1 hand full every 10 seconds is what im feeding now and im getting more gold from the material I processing.

I have a pic of the latest mods in the 'new ground/new gully/new gold' topic...you will see what I mean.

im not saying that the riffle rack it comes with doesn't work I just think you would have to get the exact facts about it from the designer himself to maximise its efficiency!

to make the hopper boil...cut more slots in the hopper support arms and lay the hopper down flat with about 10mm of fall over the the whole hoppers length(im actually running mine with 5mm of fall the wrong way)

classification deck....the 4 bolts and lock nuts that hold it in have a fair bit of adjustment for height, ive lowered the deck to 10mm off the hopper bottom at the high end of the hopper and raised the other end as high as it will go to hold the material until its fully processed through the deck and then pulling the tailings off.

the deck it comes with classifys down to 10mm, was thinking today...all the gold im getting fits through a 3mm classification sieve easy so why am I sluicing 10mm heavy's that take longer to rotate out!!!!!!!!....I found a 5mm plastic mesh basket in the old mans shed this arvo so that's getting placed in the hopper tomorrow so now there is no more shovels and cut brooms at all...tailings will now be lifted out in the basket.

do all this and it will boil like a spa but only when you put to much material in at once, just thinking now I spose the boiling is the indicator to slow the feed rate.

effects of changing/splitting the feed to rear of sluice...this idea I thought of while getting flour gold but now im getting little nuggets I understand the design of the drop point from the hopper to the sluice and why there is that flap at the top of the sluice that the v-mat tucks under and why there is a descent gap. heavy's are blown up under there as they drop and the gold holds there first...but...the water that blows it up under there also gets over and underneath the v-mat causing it to bulge and fold out. ive just put 2 wooden wedges separated in the middle to keep the gap free in the centre to work. this needs more thought!

this is just what ive done.

hope this helps mate

cheers scott :cool:

Latest posts