My first attempt at a Sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started to put together a sluice for this weekend's camping trip to Daylesford.

It's 110cm long 240x200mm at the mouth and 900x160mm in the narrow bit.
I made it out of Aluminium composite and L channel which is pop riveted together.
I think I have made it to narrow but I am not sure but it is light would under a half a kilo.

This is where I am now stuck and not to sure what to do next.

Does it require bracing at the top to help stop any movement?
What ripples will suit this? as I also have a ebay 1100gph 12v pump.

I do have some v grove rubber mat from Clark rubber and a mat from Masters.

1456879775_dsc_08571.jpg

Any tips will be awesome.

Thanks
Jason

Hey mate,

Your build looks good so far :)

Unfortunately I don't think that pump will be sufficient. I run an 1100gph pump through my recirculating cleanup sluice which is only 100mm wide and only runs v ribbed matting and it's just enough water for that. At 160mm I'm pretty sure there won't be enough water, especially if you start putting riffles in there. I run two 1100gph pumps on my highbanker which is 185mm wide and again, it's juuust enough water. So might need to upgrade to a 2000gph in my opinion.

Not sure about what you mean about the bracing? It shouldn't need anything, unless it's a little flimsy...

Maybe someone else can give you some better advice but hope that helps nonetheless

good luck

Hopefully there is some running water to help the pump not moving enough water.

Think I will add the bracing just in case the water bows the sides. I never worked with Aluminium composite so I don't know how strong it is.

I suppose yeah if you just run it as a regular river sluice you can just find enough flow for it to work as a sluice normal would with just the flow of the creek, I suppose a pump might be unnecessary then? Are you concerned that the water flow won't be strong enough? I've never seen anyone run a river sluice with supplemental pump (not saying it's not done, just that I haven't seen it). How do you plan on having the water enter the sluice from the pump? You've got me pretty curios now haha :)

I'm not really familiar with the composite material, but sounds like it would be best to play it safe judging by your thoughts.

Was just going to have a clip on spray bar for when there isn't water flow in the creeks.

I never done any prospecting before apart from panning for 15 mins at Sovereignhill which really doesn't count.

Okay cool I'll be interested to see it finished. I suppose it'll work for low flow situations, but I think you'll definitely need some flow from the creek to supplement the pump as it couldn't do it alone. Chuck up a few more pics when you're done :) And I suppose it counts in some kind of way haha but when you get your first bit of wild gold you'll see just how good the real thing is. Anyways welcome to the hobby!

Sad to admit I couldn't find gold at Sovereignhill :(

But yeah I will add some pics.

How long of a piece of v grove mat should I use 20cm?

Not really sure about that mate. Maybe someone else can come in and give you some advice on that one.

What else are you putting in there? Riffles? Expanded Mesh? Miners Moss? Carpet? Etc. All this info would be helpful in getting the best advice from from the forum :)

The ribbed V groove rubber matting from clarke rubber won't need much water flow as the ribs are pretty small, but it would be a good idea to classify any material going through the sluice first, either down to 1/4 inch or preferably 1/8 inch, that way you will remove any big items that a low water flow won't be able to move very far.
If using mats like the minors moss etc & also steel riffles etc then water flow would need to be much higher to push stones ets over riffles.
Your set up is similar to a cons sluice so therefore would be better to only run the classified gravels through it.

Run rubber matting the whole length of your sluice (the narrow section), not just a small 20cm section, that way the full lenght is working to catch the gold.

A mixture of rubber matting would be good, like some of the deep groove mats that are available, GoldHog YUKON & UR mat would be a good choice & maybe even the Vortex mat from the GoldCube.

A friend has a highbanker that he runs Yukon matting in the hopper with some ribbed mat with perforated steel over the top & the Yukon mat in the hopper would catch well over 50% of his gold, he has some UR & other similar mat down in the sluice section that catches the rest, it works well & doesn't need as much water flow as a sluice etc that has riffles & moss type matting.

If only running rubber matting then you won't need as much water flow, add riffles & the minors moss type stuff, like the spaghetti type mat from Bunnings & you will need higher water flow. Thats what I have found anyway.

Just picked up these and some 45 degree alloy.

Which would be better to use? metal mesh or the bread crete with either rubber v grove under it or carpet.

1456966546_dsc_08601.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I think I read to much and confused myself heaps.

They both work pretty well, I find that the expanded seems to sit down a little better and I prefer that.
Good Job and good luck, nothing like having a sluice set up in a creek and putting a bit of dirt thru the box.
Cheers
Brad

Looks good mate. It'll work. If it was me i would round the corners off where i marked X in the photo. The red lines i would place sport brackets across the top of the sluice to stop it spreading. Just my thoughts cheers

1456986213_1456879775_dsc_08571.jpg

1456985720_1476364148.gif

Just a thought maybe trim the v matting to where the flare meets the sluice and clamp or seal the end so material doesn't go under the mat.
Jon

The other half wanted the v mat to come out like that. Will it cause any negative effect? If so I will tell her it has to go for x reason.

Is the vmat glued down and sealed? There looks to be an opportunity for the gold to be corralled down the side and maybe under the mat rather than hitting it square on and over. The vmat is a good indicator as to how you are going and the spaghetti the main catchment so shortening it won't make any real difference and you have a fair length of it. Make sure the spaghetti is clamped so no gold runs through and out the end.
Jon

Yeah the v mat is glued down and sealed to the edges. Will have to work out a way to clamp it down

Go give it a whirl....once you put some dirt through it and find some colour your creative imagination will start running wild.
Hahahaha good luck cant wait to see your next post.

Latest posts