MV KRAIT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaryO said:
Horrace Young the radio operator onboard the Krait on operation Jaywick lived on the Central Coast so perhaps it was him Neil.

http://australiansatwarfilmarchive.unsw.edu.au/archive/1815-horace-young

Does the face ring a bell ?

GaryO

No that certainly was not the man I knew.
I am so glad you posted that though.

What a guy. Great Interview especially when you read the transcript.

the man I used to talk with did tell me he had another friend living nearby who had more photos, maybe it was H Young.

Thanks for the post and link.
Neil

Also I am sure I remember the Krait at one stage was moored at the TS Hawskbury (Navy Cadets) on the Hawksebury river.

Were you in the Navy Gary?
I was in from 1977-87 and served on Melbourne Stalwart and Adelaide.
Adelaide was sunk off Central Coast a couple of years ago and I have had a dive on it recently and that was interesting.

NeilM said:
Also I am sure I remember the Krait at one stage was moored at the TS Hawskbury (Navy Cadets) on the Hawksebury river.

Were you in the Navy Gary?
I was in from 1977-87 and served on Melbourne Stalwart and Adelaide.
Adelaide was sunk off Central Coast a couple of years ago and I have had a dive on it recently and that was interesting.

No Neil i only worked as a civi for the Department Of Defence Navy , ADI i think its called these days. I was either based at Garden Island or Support Craft at Putney. I did frequent Waterhen , Platypus etc to do work as well.
It was a good place to work during the nations bicentennial and Naval anniversaries and special dates when ships from around the world would visit . I was very lucky to get a personal tour through USS Missouri and sister ship New Jersey, they took me to parts of the ship not open to the general public .. wow they were just mind blowing to see , something ill never forget.
As for the Krait i do recall a connection with the cadets so you are probably right about seeing it on the Hawkesbury.

During the bicentennial celebs, practically the whole fleet sailed off sydney a few k out and Missourri fired a broadside - all guns blazing.
That was something to see. Not sure what it was loaded with.

It created a mini tidal wave (that is what it looked like to me anyway). Awesome sight and awesome ship.
also remembering one day sailing almost underneath the flight deck of jf kennedy in the indian ocean.
Man that is a big boat.
I worked 18 months at plats, 18 months at albatross and 18 months at nirimba as well.

Love the Krait story and wonder just how many other stories like that we will never about.

Gary also another good friend of mine you may have met - Gary Hancock - engineer at GI for a time back around the late seventies/eighties.

Latest posts