Mt Morgan tours hit the wall..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad, but then the Queensland government often seems to forget there is anything (other than a huge amount of revenue) outside of the SE corner. The rocky council also tends to be a useless bunch that love to spend heaps on pet projects while ignoring more important matters.
I also hate the overreaction to asbestos, the people that get asbestos generally had very high exposure, but things like a workshop with a bit of fibro in it isn't unsafe for a tour group. Indeed when l was getting wireless NBN installed the technician couldn't put two screws in a wall because its an old house with fibro walls. Safety has its place, but it's gone way too far in many cases and this is yet another buisness closing due to our over the top nanny state in action.

Sorry I beg to differ on your view of Asbestos.. :mad: :mad: ..
One tiny fibre is all you need to Die a slow painfull Death my friend... I have had what YOU call minimal exposure, and now I have to get x-rays every 12 months. and have been told to expect something to show up later in my life.. best thing about that is my family will get $3million in my case as I told them WHAT it was, only to be shot down by profit before safety. I have a letter from Australia's biggest builder, Admitting to their 'Error'... And so does 22 other fellow workers....
The outcome I got was straight from The most Experienced DR in Asbestos Exposure in Australia.. Obviously you have never known someone who has died from that :poop: ... One tiny little fibre CAN KILL YOU... And your family if you wear the same clothes home from work...

I have worked in the Air-con industry for nearly 40 yrs and know of at least 20 fellow workers that have Died from Asbestosis... Not real pleasant to have to say good bye to some fantastic Work mates. :brokenh: ...

When is it MY F#$@N TIME. :( .... I ask myself that often...

Wait for the numbers of cases to EXPLODE in 30yrs time after the Renovation Craze from People not realizing what they are actually playing with.... :(

That IS the issue, Educating People about the Dangers of Asbestos... Remember ONE FIBRE CAN KILL YOU OR YOUR FAMILY.... Do you want that?

Good on the Technician for Knowing what was in YOUR house... after all it's himself, his family, you and your family who are at risk ..... But you say its ok? :mad: and Moan about him not doing what you wanted.... Good luck..

LW....
R.I.P. Bernie Banton
1946--2007 Gone Forever but Never Forgotten... :flowers:

Wow..
I'm one of those blokes that just moves on....
Education is the key for sure...
However we are breeding a generation of flipping wimps, that wont go out and learn for themselves....

Imagine a tour bus with say 20 tourists walking around that site.. That's 40 foot prints, for every step, stirring up the fibres... wouldn't belong before they were in an invisible cloud of Asbestos dust... That's why the Government wont allow people in there...

LW....

the firemen wore asbestos suits not so long ago :Y:

in powder form and lots of it will have detrimental effect on humans :awful:

a bit of fibro in a shed is jack shite ;)

we seem to have runs on things that kill you :rolleyes: :zzz:

but hey lots of 'smart operators' are getting very rich 'dealing' with it for you :mad:

Sorry l hit a nerve there LoneWolf,
I had to go look up the pathology of the desease and l stand corrected. Indeed a single bit can cause a tumor that can then spread, so in those terms any exposure can be fatal.
That said, one thread is highly unlikely to do so, most people that get affected are people who have repeatedly cut into or worked with broken asbestos without using appropriate ppe. Clearly smoking greatly increases the risks as well.
But all that said, it also seems that in most cases the worst effects could generally have been avoided with better testing of people in high risk categories. It sounds a lot like the black lung issue where there really should be better compulsory testing and more often.
I really don't think the risk of walking around an old workshop would be what l define as high risk, but by all means tourists should be told that their is asbestos in the building before deciding for themselves. If indeed the risk is more significant then it should be reasonably easy to reduce the risk greatly by using a face mask, watering the pathways, having a do not touch rule and not going on windy days.
So yes l get there is a risk even with minimal exposure, but everything we do comes with some risk. Standing in a shower or going to hospital will both be banned soon due to the risks involved if our government continues on its current track.

Yes asbestos sure has a history of causing serious illness ending in a agonizing death but in many cases I think we've taken this safety thing way too far. These guys can produce a good quality product at a fraction of the cost of producing a similar product here. One of the reasons is because we are so protected in the workplace that we become complacent and careless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MotZZ6bDh_4

This may be a bit extreme but you get the idea, we've gone over the top these days.

This may be a bit extreme but you get the idea, we've gone over the top these days.

Have to agree Moneybox...... this guy is making a living on the side of the road within a few feet of the passing traffic. I have to laugh at all the time wasting OH&S bull$h!te that occurs around roadworks etc. all in the name of protecting our poor endangered roadworkers.
No wonder it takes forever and costs a motza to get anything completed.
Sure, I respect safety for the workers, but an army of overpaid lollypop holders.... give me a break !

OzzieAu said:

Have to agree Moneybox...... this guy is making a living on the side of the road within a few feet of the passing traffic. I have to laugh at all the time wasting OH&S bull$h!te that occurs around roadworks etc. all in the name of protecting our poor endangered roadworkers.
Sure, I respect safety for the workers, but an army of overpaid lollypop holders.... give me a break !
all i can say to that comment is you stand in their shoes for one week doing day and night shift in town and on the highway
then i can bet you will change that attude real quick

OzzieAu said:

Mmm I am one of those so called over paid lollypop holders and I can tell you that the job involves alot more than just standing on the road with a stop/go bat, we are also trained to be responsible for the safety of the workers and the traffic and pedestrians around us.....overpaid is a joke, my 22 year old daughter earns more an hour as a shop assistant.. try been on a 100km an hour highway with traffic ignoring reduced speeds while trying to get machinery and workers to complete their job, a lot of idiots drive straight at you, abuse you and generally carry on like idiots... be a different story if we were not there and you hit someone i guess, then the complaint would be that we should have been.... oh well everyone is entitled to their opinion informed or not

..and theres only normally 2... one each end to stop/go the traffic...mind you, I dunno about getting payed less than shop assistants. My mate gets $33+ as a traffic controller....then when the eba kicks in on commercial sites, even more. Theyre quite well payed...and so they should be.. bugger standing there all freakin day doing that asking to be hit by a moron skidding in the dirt on their mobile.

Not having a dig at the traffic controllers per say, there just performing a necessary task... its just the powers to be over regulating with mostly unnecessary OH&S conditions in situations that dont warrant the time and expense.... just beaurocratic overreach slowing everything down.
Im speaking from the perspective of what I see locally.
I was a roadside worker ( roadside assistance ) for 35 yrs. and needed to manage my own safety on the job.

Keitzy said:
..and theres only normally 2... one each end to stop/go the traffic...mind you, I dunno about getting payed less than shop assistants. My mate gets $33+ as a traffic controller....then when the eba kicks in on commercial sites, even more. Theyre quite well payed...and so they should be.. bugger standing there all freakin day doing that asking to be hit by a moron skidding in the dirt on their mobile.

Award rate is $28.20 and thats all we get paid here, we very rarely do commercial sites in our area...my daughter is on $29.75 at the reject shop... but it is still a decent wage but can be dangerous at times

that sucks
i was a manager in charge of up to 6 paid staff
approx 20 to 30 volunteers per day 5 days a week (was like running a kindy some days)
total volunteers on the books 130
total pay $22.40 per hour

Latest posts