MT COMPASS SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi there guys, just been on the phone with a mate that lives down in mount compass he has given me permission to check his property out and keep what i find ;) has anyone ever heard of gold in that area? or even better detected some :D
any input is appreciated, cheers DH

dryhorrors said:
hi there guys, just been on the phone with a mate that lives down in mount compass he has given me permission to check his property out and keep what i find ;) has anyone ever heard of gold in that area? or even better detected some :D
any input is appreciated, cheers DH
Hi dryhorrors,
This map of Mt Compass Gold mine is probably a bit of a giveaway :lol:
1387248118_mb.jpg

Excerpt from the Advertiser, 23 July 1902 describes the mining activities at Blackfellows Creek

'Prospecting for gold has been carried on quietly for several years in Blackfellow's Creek, about three miles from here, and the ranges along its banks, and the efforts of the prospectors are now coming nearer fruition. A syndicate has been formed to work a reef that Mr. H. Hailstone opened up some time ago, four men starting last Mon- day tunnelling along the reef, which they intend to follow, the prospects being very promising. It is about a mile from the creek towards Willunga, and close to the Government farm. Mr. F. Hailstone is on another line of reef in the vicinity, and has a very good show; he has great faith in his prospects, as he has stuck to prospecting here for seven years. His reef s to be worked by a syndicate shortly. Messrs. Stone Bros., of Mount Monster, on Blackfellow's Creek, have a shaft sunk on a hill near the creek, which is down about 60 ft., at which depth they have tunnelled over 200 ft., and are engaged raising 25 tons of ore for a sample crushing. Lately an assay was made of some of the stone, which averaged 10 oz. to the ton. All the samples got in the locality are of rough gold, second to none in the State. This creek is considered by experts to be valuable property, never properly tested, but the little that has been tried was good. As to the failure of the old Blackfellow's Creek Gold Mining Company," there were other causes than the absence of the precious metal." '

So in answer to your question. yes, there's gold in them thar hills, just might not be were your mates place is, but hey... sounds like a great opportunity!. Let us know how you went.

TT

LOL well my mate actually lives on nangkita road has a stream running through his property i been checking on google earth since my post lastnite and yes there are a few spots not far away, time for a day trip ^^ got my 4.5 super sniper coil ready to go :lol:
prolly will head up this weekend for a look :D
cheers for the reply good luck and hh DH

Glad you managed to get permission to get on there, I've been looking at that area recently but pretty much didn't hold any hope of getting into the area.

I believe there is a Cinnabar Mine (Mercury), just to the north of Mount Compass in the hills (may be the one marked), plus further to the north towards Yundi, there are plenty of gold workings along the Blackfellow Creek and the Finnis River (Mount Monster, Mount Magnificent, Golden Knob, Golden Rock, Kuitpo Colony, McMurties etc.)

All these area seem to be to the North of Nangkita road and Mount Compass, and also drain off to the north towards Kuitpo vs back towards your location. The Mount Jagged mine was an old iron ore deposit, plus rutile was found to the south of Mount Compass. You never know unless you try I guess! :)

Cheers, that would be appreciated, got plenty of spare time on my hands at the moment, plus would be good to have a detecting buddy as I usually get around the place on my own all the time. :)

Latest posts