MrCornford's finds with the hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!
I've moved back to Sydney to move onto the 2nd year of my 2nd degree (shoot me) and got a 705 during xmas to start out with the hobby.
I'm going to use this topic to chronicle whatever I find

First trip to Coogee beach the other night and there was a bloke already there swinging away wild with what looked like an AT Pro, I thought'd I wouldn't swing over people's possessions like he was... So I moved to a different part of the beach to do my own thing.

After a lot of junk dug, nothing worth over 10c. Some time in a lady asked me if I had found a pendant by any chance, I hadn't but I took the description and her number. Apparently she had asked another detectorist the day before if he could help but he had been 'grumpy'. Well, I found it within two minutes.. Such luck! Made both our nights.
Here's a photo.

1422007893_10606406_10206351341048873_1128011670370141754_n.jpg

She was escatic and I was incredibly proud to have helped her out with such little effort.

Last night I tried Maroubra beach with a mate of mine to just catch up and have a swing. Together we found $23 in the dry sand and a lovely time to catch up - So much better than just getting coffee!!

Cheers all, Will keep on keeping on.

I'm going to keep the coin finds in a Jar for future reference. I'm not so poor a student as to have to use those coins just yet. Want to see how full it will get!

Hope you've got a big jar haha. It's amazing how much space as little as $50 can take up!

Hi everyone,
Been out a few times (going to be much less now that's NIDA's started again, right on back to 9am-11pm days) Have been getting around $20 each time out and including a few strike outs I've got just over $80 in a jar of just golides and 50c pieces.
A few bits of junk also. Will post pictures!

Ahhh second year NIDA... good times.
Can't wait to get back to Sydney and get out there with you mate!

Posting some pictures of the bits and pieces found these last couple of times..
1423492045_image.jpg
1423492793_img_0449.jpg

My second beach hunt results..
1423492794_img_0455.jpg

Junk jewelry, a ring, and earring (with plastic stone).
1423492795_img_0469.jpg

Are these balls some form of sinker? I've found three over the last three trips (one each time)
1423492795_img_0481.jpg

Tonight's finds..
Need advice on what to do with this key, looking at it closely now at home I'm suspecting it's a master key. Do I call the number or leave at the lifeguard door with a note?
I don't intend to put anyone out.
1423492796_img_0486.jpg

Goldies and 50c total so far.. just over $90 in the last 5 trips. Should improve when my CTX arrives and I try parks as well.

Phone the number on the key and they will tell you what to do with the keys,.. great job with the hunting

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Locksmith mate of mine tells me it might be a public bathroom key based on the "PB 39" engraved on it. I'm going to drop it to the lifeguards next time I'm there.

Killing it mate! Well done.
Can't wait till I come visit and see that CTX in action ;)

It's vastly different from the 705 haha.
Tonight's finds are small, the beach I've been going to has been really sanded in, and the holiday rush is all over.
1423664623_img_0490.jpg

Plated gold ring. No hallmark or engraving. Stone is likely fake if it isn't solid gold.

The ring was in the dry, for this first trip out I stuck with the dry to get familiar with the machine. It will be a while still before I 'know' it :p

Doing really well, so far have found pennies and half pennies (mostly pre-roo design which is nice).
No silver pre decimals yet.. Looking for advice on what to listen/look for to find silver.

Thought I dug a gold sovereign tonight and was crushingly disappointed to see it was some daily telegraph promotional coin (I remember seeing them when I was a kid).

Park hunting is hard work but more rewarding so far than my beach hunts.

My night has been made, and one item crossed off the Australian detectorist bucket list.. (found a slouch hat pin! will post all my pictures when I get them transfered tomorrow)

Latest posts