Most Powerful Metal Detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sure this question gets beat to death but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the most powerful gold field detector. Is it the gpz 7000? Is it worth the money if you're taking it seriously and are going to dedicate some months to prospecting? What do the pros use?

To answer your question for me personally it's too much money. The improvements to the GPZ seem to be focused around the coil (at $1600 to replace) not the machine (my reasoning). All the improvements around the pulse induction machines since 1998 have been centered around their sensitivity. Sure a GPX5000 will pick up a 0.1 gram nugget. I would rather pick one 1 gram nugget than ten 0.1 gram nuggets. I think the best value today is the GPX4500.... the GPX5000 is good also.

PS. The pros use bulldozers.

The very early Minelab SD2000 was a very capable machine tuned for finding larger gold at depth, as deep as the GPZ
The later GPX machines are tuned to detecting smaller gold.

Redfin said:
The very early Minelab SD2000 was a very capable machine tuned for finding larger gold at depth, as deep as the GPZ
In around 2004 i detected a small group of sub one gram nuggets six or so of them with the SD2000 and i went back to the same spot 8 years later with a GPX5000 and found nothing, though i concede the 5000 is better on the fine stuff....must be the operator HA HA.

Reckon testing is in order but maybe an f1a4 with the UXO timing and a big coil on about 8.5volt.... otherwist sd2000 12v prototype

Eski said:
Reckon testing is in order but maybe an f1a4 with the UXO timing and a big coil on about 8.5volt.... otherwist sd2000 12v prototype
Love to get my hands on the prototype....apparently they interfered with aviation navigation. Had to ban them. Better than falling out of the sky i guess.

Mate if you can afford a goz7000 buy it brilliant machine you need to learn how to use it but you cant get a better machine Ive been out with mates with 5000/4500 /sdc /f1a4/all minelab and if I could afford one its the machine I would have with the stock standard 14inch coil its awsome small and big gold doesnt matter hot ground doesnt matter even better on hot ground than sdc for me its a no brainer I only wish cheers Muk .

I can't afford it right now but it looks like I will likely be able to when the time comes around soon. I guess I'm wondering if the money could be spent better elswhere to help me improve my yields prospecting. I'm going to be dedicating a few months to the goldfields and depending on how things go I'm hoping I'll be able to find enough gold to support myself living frugally in a van for that time. I love metal detecting so it would really be for the joy of the experience and not to strike it rich. I am not opposed to the idea of making some cash or finding some nice gold though obviously.

Do the improvements on the gpz-7000 warrant the extra $$ over the gpx-4500/5000 in your guys oppinions if I were to have the time to dedicate for a while? I guess it's hard to say for sure because obviously I can't run exact scenarios and see into the future. I don't mind missing finer gold occasionally if it's deep but I do not want to miss out on any potential large gold thats deep.

The sdc is good on the beach too if I'm not mistaken? I have a Equinox for that but wouldn't mind a deep PI to replace my sandshark I sold recently.

Muk , agreed on the GPz but i think testing in vic is reqd. in less mineralised /lviscous dirt i'd take the gpz.

Hooka, depends, how much do you use the machine multiplied by the higher Take from using a gpz. i can't make it work for me and i detect maybe 12 - 24 days a year, so i sold my gpz

My son has a gpz7000 and I have the sdc2300we have used them both heaps in Vic and WA they are the perfect pair if I had to have a choice it would be the 7000 but as I said I cant afford it all the minelab machines are awsome get the one you can afford put the time in and learn it it will find you gold cheers Muk.

More important to put a good machine over the right area than quibble over the small advantage that a GPZ may have over a GPX. Being able to cover a large area as quickly as possible with very positive coil response is the most important factor for me. Trussed up like a pack mule, swinging a barge is definitely not my cup of tea. That is why I use a light yet powerful PI machine that even with a 25 inch coil requires no bungee cord or harness. This way I cover more ground for longer, fatigue free detecting. Scrounging picked over ground like a crow picking a carcass usually only produces crumbs, but to each his (or her) own I guess.

The gpz 7000 is probably the best gold detector money can buy. Is it worth the price yes if you learn the machine and swing for 5mths of the year. But in my opinion a gpx4500 with 3 good coils is the better value by approx 5,000.
More important is research, be where gold is.

Redfin said:

I'll have to second that. I used to have a 2200d in absolute mint condition. It did miss sub gramers under .5 but man did it punch deep even with a dd.

Skip, I remember when I first got my 2200d it kept getting an increase in threshold at the left side of each swing. Finally the penny dropped. It was detecting my pick on my belt. No other detector other than the PI prototype did that. Awesome depth with a big coil. Should never have sold it. Might even buy another if one comes up at the right price.

Well I found a used 5k for a price that was pretty awesome. I couldn't find anything close to it and there was one available. I could do the Zed but it was so much cheaper than even the cheapest used Zed or even any other used 5k's. It's pretty scratched up but I can't complain about that. It's working so the marks seem to be superficial and atleast I'll be on a continent where getting it repaired/serviced can be done on the same one.

This is probably the better choice, I've never prospected before besides some panning. I live to dig though so I don't think me not liking it will be an issue. Any reccomended coils that people favor, or should I just stick to the stock in the beginning? Also so I understand there are mods to improve the battery, give it an amp, and some other stuff that has me interested I spent quite a bit less than I was willing to so would like to kit it up if it will make my time swinging more enjoyable.

Thanks for the inputs guys, I really liked the sdc as a candidate also cause it's waterproof and having a deep seeker PI for the beach sounded nice. Can't wait to give it a shot!

Good choice Hooka. Don't go mad on bits and pieces until you get used to your machine. It will perform quite well in standard trim. Forget about the SDC. You have a far better machine.

Latest posts