More on Bush Power

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree with lid hinges, also remove lid when stacking frozen meat packs in my "old yellow". The Engel combo is a pain having to hold lid open when stacking or removing items. The digital temperature readout is useles. Need a crate to stand on, then poke my head in under the ute canopy to view the readout. So rely on touch, if the beers cold, it's working, if the veges in the freezer section are frozen, that's working too.?

There's a lot to be said for the old fashioned "KISS" principle.

Even tho my Aux Bat Redarc BCDC has the voltage sensing/IGN blue wire and as I wanted the disconnect with the 3 way in the van, I put an old fashioned 70 A can solenoid under the hood. I don't care what the electronics will or won't do, I turn the IGN off and everything disconnects from the start battery.

Even the rotary switch on my old Engel is impossible to see going into the rear of the wagon without using the fridge slide. The other option is to go into the rear door and lean over the seat to see it.

When I put the Brass Monkey into the rear, it will have the compressor to the rear of the car, opposite to the Engel. This will give me 3 benefits - The compressors will be apart so their warm air is not blowing from one to the other - The digital display of the BM will be easy to see - The side opening will be on the side more easier to get to.

condor22 said:
There's a lot to be said for the old fashioned "KISS" principle.

Even tho my Aux Bat Redarc BCDC has the voltage sensing/IGN blue wire and as I wanted the disconnect with the 3 way in the van, I put an old fashioned 70 A can solenoid under the hood. I don't care what the electronics will or won't do, I turn the IGN off and everything disconnects from the start battery.

KISS is stamped on my brain Condor.
No Redarcs etc etc.
Simple solenoid between starting and auxiliary battery activated when IGN on. (Has an override manual switch wired to auxiliary battery if the starting battery goes flat.)
Another same solenoid between auxiliary and fridge & accessories battery once again activated by IGN. (Also has a manual disconnect switch.)

Auxiliary battery is connected to van batteries via welding cable + fuse (vehicle) - welding cable + fuse caravan + Anderson plug.
When we stop for the night or are camped up the Anderson plug is disconnected, separating ute from van.
Has worked faultlessly since we bought our first caravan in 2008.
Worked faultlessly back to the 80's with a Nissan MQ & GQ shorty minus a caravan, good old tent and swag sufficed.

condor22 said:
bicter said:
First search for "engel digital thermometer" brings up available from BCF $35, in stock and Snowys out of stock due late May

Possible alternatives:
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ad...-fridge-thermometer-lcd-screen-30m-range.html

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/we...r-outdoor-thermometer-00822-00831a2-html.html

Caveat emptor

That is the thermometer I already have, it is NOT wireless

Mea culpa, it was early and the caffeine hadnt kicked in, hence the caveat emptor :/
Regardless, the two linked alternatives should prove suitable

Thanks Bic, I have 3 fridges I want to know what they do. :) The Brass Monkey has it's own digital display and seems reasonable. That leaves the Engel and the van Thetford that don't.

I have 2 Ironman Wireless and 2 Engel Wired digital thermometers, so methinks if I buy any more, my wife will call me a hoarder and she'd be right, lol...... So I'll leave that for others in the market. :)

Agree, gotta have the ole Heart Starter in the morning, seems to get stronger as I get older, lol.

Edit... I looked at the time of your post, only 2 things get me up that early nowadays, Anzac Dawn Service and my Bladder and that's only if I have too many "lemonades" the night before, lol.

Didn't mention in last post, also monitor caravan fridge with a wireless reciever in cab, the wired transmitter is fixed to outside of fridge with sender in freezer. This 3 way fridge is a hungry beast drawing about 14 amps , however with the heavy wiring from ute the alternator keeps the 2 110 ah topped up while mobile. Fridge swapped to gas as soon as we pullover.

Finished the Engel test, here are the combined results. Need to wait a few days to do the next test as a. the Aux battery needs to be fully charged, b. gotta go out shortly and c. Car booked in for service Wed morning. :)

1590372647_test_2.jpg

I've shown the Average temp in the Engel as -17.8, however the range was -16.8 to -18.8. Happy with the 2 deg C upper/lower temp as it shows the fridge holding it's set temp. (keeping in mind it's an analogue knob adjustment.

In Summary the fridge used average of about 1.4 AH per hour of use as a freezer. The Solar panel output was similar over both days of testing and relatively low, however the weather was dull overcast on both days with no visible sun. Nor did the Aux Bat get any DC to DC charging during the whole test and when prospecting it would.

The Powertech meters I used to collect the data show roughly the same SOC as my BM PRO monitor - 27.9% (Powertech) to 29% (BM PRO). Before I turned the fridge off I noted battery voltage was at 12.6 V when the Engel wasn't running and 12.2 when it was. So a 0.4 V drop under load.

All in all, happy with the result and I have my 110W concertina portable solar panel to deploy if needed. The other thing I could do is set the temp of the freezer to a higher temperature setting. I think for shorter term freezing -8 to -10 is still cold enough to be ok and assume a smaller power consumption. Of course, decision pending the Brass Monkey's performance. :)

Managed to get the Aux Charged, so the BM is in the 4x4 under test as a fridge. I'm expecting different result as we do have a bit of sunshine today. I'll need to remove it at 2.30 pm tomorrow after 24 hours, for the car service on Wednesday.

Surprised at the Brass Monkey figures, what a difference....
1590472402_test_3.jpg

The only variable of consequence was that I started this test 3 1/2 hours later in the day and a bit more sunshine.

But very high compared to the Engel. Can't do much until after the car service, but I think I'll run the test again, but starting at the same time of day as the first 2 tests. I've shown the BM temp at 3.1, however the temp range on the Engel wired probe was 2.8 to 3.3 C, so at least it holds temp reasonably well.

condor22 said:
Surprised at the Brass Monkey figures, what a difference....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1590472402_test_3.jpg
The only variable of consequence was that I started this test 3 1/2 hours later in the day and a bit more sunshine.

But very high compared to the Engel. Can't do much until after the car service, but I think I'll run the test again, but starting at the same time of day as the first 2 tests. I've shown the BM temp at 3.1, however the temp range on the Engel wired probe was 2.8 to 3.3 C, so at least it holds temp reasonably well.

Condor, are you resetting the meter each time because under where you have listed the BM it now says 43.7Ah, surely that should read 9.21Ah,

Also are you running these fridges empty ??

I disconnected the meters on both input and output when I changed over from Engel to BM.

However that thought did cross my mind, which is why I want to redo the test. A 93% SOC doesn't add up with the Net use of 33.7 AH. I'm hoping that the end result will be the BM AH reading minus the Engel Freezer reading. :) Measure twice cut once lol.

condor22 said:
I disconnected the meters on both input and output when I changed over from Engel to BM.

However that thought did cross my mind, which is why I want to redo the test. A 93% SOC doesn't add up with the Net use of 33.7 AH. I'm hoping that the end result will be the BM AH reading minus the Engel Freezer reading. :) Measure twice cut once lol.

Another I found using the Kickass type/clone meters is it says they measure up from 0-6554 Wh, this is a miss print they actually measure from 0 to 655.4 Wh and then they start recording from "0" again and I think the Ah reading does the same with a claimed resolution of 0 to 150Ah "And" Or 0 to 65Ah, This is a pain in the bum because the first couple of times it happened I thought the meter had crapped out so I had to re run the tests,

I am finding the best temp Vs power used is to set the fridge to -12*c, so you can put things that you don't want frozen in the top and having a dairy area in the fridge will help keep things around 0*c +/-. which is borderline for Beer,

Things like Ice Cream must be kept in temps colder than -15*c otherwise when they melt and refreeze they get full of Ice Crystals, I found the Info on the Aussie Food site, and I put it to the test this past 2 weeks and they were spot on, because Ice Cream has stuff in it that slows the freezing process.

Just tried to buy an MT-45 and the dealer tried to put me off again, Saying they are louder than other brands, ]:D Load of ****ing :poop:

Geez they burn my Ass with all their crap :( :mad: :awful: ]:D :bomb: :fire: :poop:

When my old Engel is running I often either need to put my hand on top of the compressor area just to check it's working. Wish I could say the same for the B Monkey, which is louder, but not too bad.

I've run my Engel at various temps and put the wired probe near the lid, half way down and at the bottom as well as the same at either end. The temperature doesn't vary more than 1 to 2 C anywhere in the fridge, so if I set it to -12, everything will freeze.

Given that I prospect in winter, Ice cream is not on the menu when camping. I stick to fruit salad and custard cold or mini steam puddings n custard hot.

Given that I'm only using the Powertech gauges for individual daily tests, I think it's range will suffice. I did look at the specs, it states it will record up to 99,999 AH. If I used 20 AH a day it would take 13 + years to get there and would probably be reset long before that, lol.

Because I have solar, BCDC and if needed a 240 VAC (generator driven) charger, the only issue I'm really interested in is, that I don't take DOC to low each day. Between solar and driving, there's no issue with the Engel and an hour of Travel Buddy oven use. Adding the BM is where the "unknown" is until I find out what it draws.

The same applies in my caravan, (main fridge is on LPG), I use about 35 AH from a 130 AH each day running the heater, TV, lights etc. That accounts for approx 25% of capacity. If I run the BM fridge in the van, and it's total load stays below 50% then also ok.

Even in winter my 200 W of solar usually take the van battery back to 100% by 1.30 pm to 2 pm most days and I still have generator or car hook up to supplement. As I've mentioned in other posts, having more than one option when out there should never see a flat battery. Unless you stuff up as I did last year. :)

When I only had the Engel, the only time I put frozos in it, was when I went to the supermarket to shop. I'd crank the Engel to between 0-1 C so the beer didn't freeze and it would keep the frozen food frozen long enough to drive back to camp. Most times that isn't much more than an hour.

I found that as much as I stock up on dry food, the van freezer contents would generally only last about a week before restock was required. If I can use one of the portables as a freezer, I can go much longer between trips to town, carry more :beer: :beer: :beer: :)

condor22 said:
When my old Engel is running I often either need to put my hand on top of the compressor area just to check it's working. Wish I could say the same for the B Monkey, which is louder, but not too bad.

I've run my Engel at various temps and put the wired probe near the lid, half way down and at the bottom as well as the same at either end. The temperature doesn't vary more than 1 to 2 C anywhere in the fridge, so if I set it to -12, everything will freeze.

Given that I prospect in winter, Ice cream is not on the menu when camping. I stick to fruit salad and custard cold or mini steam puddings n custard hot.

Given that I'm only using the Powertech gauges for individual daily tests, I think it's range will suffice. I did look at the specs, it states it will record up to 99,999 AH. If I used 20 AH a day it would take 13 + years to get there and would probably be reset long before that, lol.

Because I have solar, BCDC and if needed a 240 VAC (generator driven) charger, the only issue I'm really interested in is, that I don't take DOC to low each day. Between solar and driving, there's no issue with the Engel and an hour of Travel Buddy oven use. Adding the BM is where the "unknown" is until I find out what it draws.

The same applies in my caravan, (main fridge is on LPG), I use about 35 AH from a 130 AH each day running the heater, TV, lights etc. That accounts for approx 25% of capacity. If I run the BM fridge in the van, and it's total load stays below 50% then also ok.

Even in winter my 200 W of solar usually take the van battery back to 100% by 1.30 pm to 2 pm most days and I still have generator or car hook up to supplement. As I've mentioned in other posts, having more than one option when out there should never see a flat battery. Unless you stuff up as I did last year. :)

Just be aware that the figure of 99.999 might also mean 99 Point 999 Ah because the numbers on the box of mine doesn't have the decimal point between the figures although the meter does show it,

I don't care what the numb nuts said to me I still want an Engel, I am so ****ing sick of the BS that these people tell me, It annoys me because I know more about the brand than they do, I grew up around Engels,

don't care what the numb nuts said to me I still want an Engel, I am so ****ing sick of the BS that these people tell me, It annoys me because I know more about the brand than they do, I grew up around Engels,

So do yourself a favour and buy it, then there is no stress. :playful:

Manpa said:
don't care what the numb nuts said to me I still want an Engel, I am so ****ing sick of the BS that these people tell me, It annoys me because I know more about the brand than they do, I grew up around Engels,

So do yourself a favour and buy it, then there is no stress. :playful:

Yep, I have one and the cover on back order and they should be in stock next week fingers crossed :Y:

condor22 said:
Screenshot from the instruction sheet, looks like a comma to me, lol.:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1590545735_powert.jpg

Yeah it looks like it,

here's what mine says, It say's it measures from 0 to 150A but that is the power it is using at the time and it will only log up to 65Ah over a period of time and where it says it measures from 0 to 6554w it actually logs 0 to 655.4 W.

Specfications:
1.Operates from 4.8v to 60v
2.Can measure down to 0v with optional auxiliary (great for stress-testing batteries)
3.Measures 0 to 150A with a resolution of 0.01A (50 Amp connectors for continuous - up to 150A for short peak bursts only)
4.Measures 0 to 60V with a resolution of 0.01V
5.Measures 0 to 6554W with a resolution of 0.01W
6.Measures 0 to 65Ah with a resolution of 0.001Ah
7.Blue back-lit 2.4" LCD display
8.Material: Rubber Paint
9.Dimensions: 85 x 42 x 25mm
10.Weight: 82g
11.Color: Black

Latest posts