Moccona Instant Coffee

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieChris

Checks in from time to time.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have loved Moccona coffee for years, as far as instant goes it was always supreme. I remember having to hide it from my housemates back in my early 20's as they could smash through a jar in no time. They were happy enough to drink Nescafe 43 by the gallon but I always found it to give me the Jimmy shakes like crazy.

I had an espresso machine, but it blew up recently and a pod machine too but sometimes instant is convenient especially when you run out of darn pods.

I cracked open a new jar of Moccona #5 and made myself one, no milk just black and I toss in just a little stevia in an attempt to lower my sugar intake. :coffee:

Holy crap! what was this filthy concoction I just drank?

Burnt with a hint of plastic? and an aftertaste that cannot be described. :awful:

Apparently, the company have changed their blend and it's now made in Germany and packed in the Netherlands. "richer and fuller" nope! it's closer to toxic waste with a hint of pig shit. :poop: :coffee: :skull:

Have any of you tasted the new stuff and enjoyed it?

1541382641_classic_med.jpg

No I have not.
I only have Number 8
It is all I will have. :) :)
True about that other brand,
Gives me the shakes. But I will
drink it mild if offered to be polite. :cool:

I used to have it on occasion, usually when pushed for time. It was fine But I wouldn't touch it now. There's a full jar of it in the cupboard with a spoonful missing. It gave me indigestion last time lol.

My caffeine intake is however very low compared to what it was.

I used to love Moccona coffee many years ago, but I think it started to change somewhere around 20yrs ago. Ive gone back to Nescafe Blend 43 :coffee: :coffee:
Nowadays I collect the big jars from my sister tho, as they are good for pickling onions & chillies :8 :playful: ]:D

Nescafe 43 is like champagne compared to International Roast and Pablo. I'm pretty sure that Pablo is no longer available, but it was like bitter dust.

International roast used to be given to prisoners back in the day when police stations commonly had cells (not many do these days).

One of our admin girls once bought a big tin of it for the meal room, and none of the staff in blue suits would drink it because of the negative connotations.

OMG, why why do you put that stuff in your body?? Instant coffee is rubbish!
I have a hand grinder and a portable pump espresso maker so when i'm out in the bush i can still have my coffee hit :)

I have a coffee business on the side of my day job. I love coffee so turned my love into a business. (just can't quit my day job yet lol)

www.urbanroasters.com.au

Use the coupon code: First15

Will give you all 15% off your first order.

**Admins, feel free to delete if you don't like this post, no offence will be taken**

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Yep, DB

I keep a burr grinder and use an AeroPress, which gives a pretty good cup of coffee, once you get the grind and amounts sorted out.

At the moment I'm drinking a locally roasted blend which is nice (my wife is friends with the lady who roasts it), but I prefer a bit of a higher roast.

I did have some Rwandan from Campos in Sydney (I noticed you have Rwandan at your link), and it was sensational.

Guatemala is my favorite! But Rwanda is seriously good also we use it in our blend "Diplomat".

I use one of these: https://www.wacaco.com/
But i actually like the Aero press a lot better. The Wacaco is just too messy and everything needs to be perfect to get it to work.

i'm 100% down with supporting local. Does she have a website? Would love to check it out also.

Yeah I know instant is not great, but there is always a jar in the cupboard out of convenience. Won't bother with the stuff in the future.
I'll try to grab a new espresso machine after Christmas, or maybe let the missus know its at the top of my list I guess.
I think I might grab one of the portable espresso pumps for camping as well.

DB what is your favourite out of those roasts?
(Hehe you beat me to it)

Dr Duck, that AeroPress looks great! :coffee:

colombian bachue roasted just into second crack for me just finished roasting a few kilos only a couple of minutes ago actually, but when it comes to instant number 10 green label moccona espresso style is the one i use . i did use the black label moccona intensity or indulgence once but now the moccona espresso (10)fits the bill .
johno
still got about a 1/4 of a ton left so i should be right for a few weeks i think .
1541398590_20181105_161506_resized.jpg

Wow you roast into 2nd crack! Thats way too dark for me.
Depending on the bean, usually dump it just before 2nd crack. But depends on the temps you are roasting at.

Typically bring it up to 200 degrees, back the gas off and hold for a few minutes (depending on what you are roasting) then when it smells, feels and looks perfect dump it and cool. Air cool, not water spray (which a lot of people do to add weight to the bean)

@aussiechris - Guatemala is perfect for black coffee's, Rwanda for milk based, Honduras if you like to live on the wild side black or white.

Everyones tastes are different when it comes to coffee :)

I only use coffee beans that have first been shat out by an animal of some sort therefore if it taste like :poop: I am not suprised. I like Maccona too.

Yeah, the cook was saying the same thing....
I just gulp the 42 bean stuff from ali, half the price for one less bean!
So long as I get my fix!
Without coffee I think some speed drugs would be legalized to keep the world awake! :eek:

I bought some of this to take camping for the convenience of instant and I have to say its the closest Ive had to tasting like a brewed coffee... I like espresso, and this at least has some flavour. It has 10% finely ground content.
1541414871_4703193d-a24c-494a-9ef2-440ff969dadd.jpg
:coffee:

DropBear said:
Wow you roast into 2nd crack! Thats way too dark for me.
Depending on the bean, usually dump it just before 2nd crack. But depends on the temps you are roasting at.

Typically bring it up to 200 degrees, back the gas off and hold for a few minutes (depending on what you are roasting) then when it smells, feels and looks perfect dump it and cool. Air cool, not water spray (which a lot of people do to add weight to the bean)

@aussiechris - Guatemala is perfect for black coffee's, Rwanda for milk based, Honduras if you like to live on the wild side black or white.

Everyones tastes are different when it comes to coffee :)
the colombians do best if they are taken just into first crack much more flavour , if you go to rolling second you dont get enough crema so its a fine line .some other beans and blends i used years ago i would pull up just before second crack but not the colombians .
i slow the progress down after first crack gets rolling then sneak up on the second , normally will be done at about 218 to 222c or some where near colombian will be only just barely starting first crack at 200 in my roaster.
johno

Latest posts