Mittagong (NSW) - Sapphires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I have read various bits of information that indicates that sapphires and other gem stones have been found around the Mittagong area. In particular, I understand that there were some historical mining leases granted in the past but these were in areas that may now be off-limits because they are in the Upper Nepean State Conservation Area.

I may have an opportunity to secure some time on a parcel of private land just outside the Conservation Area. I think the Nepean River runs through the property.

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints / tips on this area for a newbie fossicker. I recently caught sapphire fever after a couple of visits to Sapphire Bend near Oberon but I am looking for locations closer to home.

Is the Nepean River sapphire-bearing? If so, should I be digging in the actual river or are there ancient river beds in the area that I need to locate to find some wash.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

G'day phantom83, Welcome to the furom.

I don't know about the Nepean river containing gemstone, but the one in records mention is Wengarrabie river (excuse the spelling if wrong) it contains Sapphire, Zircon And one of the connecting creek produce Diamond. but the river goes to WATER CATCHMENT that is why it is not allowed to prospect in the river or area.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I hope this help a bit.

Cheers,
''B'' :cool:

I believe gold689 is correct, I have also looked into the area after reading to ports of diamonds from mittagong, it is the wingecarribee river and I'm pretty sure it's all locked up as water catchment areas with big fines
Cheers

You can try in the Wingecarribee in Berrima, small zircons and small VERY included sapphires.
But compared to Oberon and GG it is a waste of time.

Hi Phantom83,

How did you get on with finding Sapphires closer to Sydney? I also have a bad case of the same bug and keen to find places closer, but have a way to go before I can identify paleo river beds containing the gems.

Planning to head down to Grabben Gullen soon after watching the video Liz posted on youtube (cannot yet post links as I am a new member) - not recommended watching if you already have the fever... ;)

Cheers,
Peter

Lots of Sapphires in the Napean, mostly shattered or heavily included. Great fun to get but don't expect to get anything worth cutting.
Berrima (Wingecarribee river), my old stomping grounds. Lots of nice little zircons and the odd cutter. Sapphires here are mostly small with some very nice blues and the rare cutter. I used to go below the weir, not sure if you are allowed to anymore.

It doesn't look to be forbidden, but there is not much left either...
Anyway, clearing those pots below the dam is fun, you are sure to have a few small zircons in them.

Latest posts