Mirage PI kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to MD. I'm working to a limited budget and in reading reviews/advice any MD under $250 prrobably isn't worth it so my best bet is to look at PI kits (as I know how to hold a soldering iron). I was initially interested in building the Surf PI but then came across the Mirage PI from Sven. at treasurelinx.com/projects.html.

Has anyone here tried this Kit? How did you think it performed? I want to beachcomb 80% and try my luck on the local goldfields of Victoria 20% (I live in Lilydale).

Specifications:
Pulse Frequency....1000Hz
Pulse Delay............10 to 90us
Pulse Width............12 and 30us
Threshold...............Silent to audible
Audio......................VCO
SAT.........................1/2 to 10 seconds
Gain........................5 to 1
Frequency Adjust....10%
Search Coil.............300us
Operation Power.....12 volts

Search Coil Sizes ...5", 7", 9.5", 10.5"

Thoughts / advice? 8)

Regards

Aussie280

aussie280 said:
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to MD. I'm working to a limited budget and in reading reviews/advice any MD under $250 prrobably isn't worth it so my best bet is to look at PI kits (as I know how to hold a soldering iron). I was initially interested in building the Surf PI but then came across the Mirage PI from Sven. at treasurelinx.com/projects.html.

Has anyone here tried this Kit? How did you think it performed? I want to beachcomb 80% and try my luck on the local goldfields of Victoria 20% (I live in Lilydale).

Specifications:
Pulse Frequency....1000Hz
Pulse Delay............10 to 90us
Pulse Width............12 and 30us
Threshold...............Silent to audible
Audio......................VCO
SAT.........................1/2 to 10 seconds
Gain........................5 to 1
Frequency Adjust....10%
Search Coil.............300us
Operation Power.....12 volts

Search Coil Sizes ...5", 7", 9.5", 10.5"

Thoughts / advice? 8)

Regards

Aussie280

This must be pretty new to the members on the forum. I understand it to be originally based on the hammerhead.

Has anyone tried the hammerhead? How do you mod a PI unit to work a little better on mineralised ground?

Any help appreciated.

Hey Aussie, I got no idea about the kit but....maybe put this thread in the Metal detecting section and you may get more hits from others with experience with these. I thought about doing the Surf. kit and its my understanding that PI detectors do better in mineralised ground anyway.

Hope you get some good results

MJB said:
Hey Aussie, I got no idea about the kit but....maybe put this thread in the Metal detecting section and you may get more hits from others with experience with these. I thought about doing the Surf. kit and its my understanding that PI detectors do better in mineralised ground anyway.

Hope you get some good results

Cheers MJB for the tip...reposting

Does this have Ground balance ability...otherwise simple project but not ideal for gold fields..same goe s with hammerhead..has not got GB ability...

I know this is a very old thread but did you ever build this Aussie?

I recently completed one and find it absolutely wonderful for finding coins and the like in parks and on beaches but no good at all on the Vic gold fields.

Cheers,

Jayson.

Hey Jayson

10us pulse delay is probably a little long for finding small gold. You really need to get it down a little but then you also need to look at what coils you are running. Plus you will need a ground balance circuit. Without it you will not be able to use it successfully in the goldfields.

If you look at some of the GB modifications people have done to the Hammerhead kit, you may find one you can adapt to the mirage.

Latest posts