Miners Moss/Carpet vs Rubber V-mats in sluices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a simple sluice which I have been using recently to process some samples of dirt that I have taken from around Cue.

What is better miners moss/carpet vs rubber V-mats? Thus far I have noticed that the carpet can be a bastard to clean out in full, often I go to put the carpet back in the next day when its dry and I can shake a decent amount of dust out of it. This makes me wonder if I am missing some ultra fine stuff.

I figured a v rubber mat would be much easier to wash properly.

Are there any experienced sluice her that could offer me some advice on this?

Cheers

Any pics of the sluice? The V mat is very simple, the moss catches a bit more material. I use both, carpet is ok but I think the others better. They all work.

1404629612_photo_12.jpg

I have 2 sections in my HB, however the V mat isn't necessarily required under the mesh...then the bunnings rubber backed coarse mat for the bread crate section. Golds pretty heavy so its not a big issue as long as water flow is ok and nothing is shooting under the mat! I like the V mat as you can see the gold on it, so a bit of a motivator.

Carpet and rubber will both do I good job.
Rubber is better for a clean up !

Miners moss/nomad matting with a fine ribbed rubber mat underneath,
carpet is too hard to clean and the above mentioned is better at catching the heavies

Really depends on your sluice and material thats being processed. V ribb with moss o top is best for high black sand areas however it will pack up without enought flow. If using your sluice in low flow conditions high ribb wetndry carpet is gpod however beat to have two carpets so one can dry off in netween trips. I cam still get gold out of every peiece of carpet I have in the shed.

My favourite is rubber matting with fine expanded over top this setup is great for fine gold and cleams out very easily. Hopefully weve confused you even more ;)

G0lddigg@ said:
Really depends on your sluice and material thats being processed. V ribb with moss o top is best for high black sand areas however it will pack up without enought flow. If using your sluice in low flow conditions high ribb wetndry carpet is gpod however beat to have two carpets so one can dry off in netween trips. I cam still get gold out of every peiece of carpet I have in the shed.

My favourite is rubber matting with fine expanded over top this setup is great for fine gold and cleams out very easily. Hopefully weve confused you even more ;)

Where can I get this type of rubber matting?

HeadsUp said:
clarke rubber have two types

one is about 1.6 mm deep grooves the other is closer to 2.8 - 3.0 mm deep
Ouch. They told me one type b at the local......I shall return that 3 mm sounds perfect.

Goldtarget said:
HeadsUp said:
clarke rubber have two types

one is about 1.6 mm deep grooves the other is closer to 2.8 - 3.0 mm deep
Ouch. They told me one type b at the local......I shall return that 3 mm sounds perfect.

none of the Clark rubbers ive been too have the 3mm mate, they do have a thicker v rib but its the base measurement not the depth of the groove.

Latest posts