Minerama 2015

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to head up to glen innes for a couple of days to participate in the field trips. Billabong blue and then yarrow creek. Yarrow creek was absolutely hammered and practically no one found anything but billabong blue produced like it has in the past. I was just digging in the pile and noticed a dark rock, turns out to be a 68 carat dogtooth sapphire :D . It's very dark but some light goes through under a bright torch. Minerama itself was quite interesting, lots and lots of tents set up showing and selling crystals of all different kinds (sapphires were a common site of course). So all in all it was a success I guess, quadrupled my biggest sapphire size and got to get into the country. :)

Well done. :)
Did you get to see the 103 cts blue some found on the day at Billabong, said to have a section that was worth cutting.

I did see the 103 carat sapphire actually, I participated in the contest to see who could guess it's size. I said 110 but someone beat me with 105 :p . As for not being on as much I guess I've just been busy with some stuff.

If I'm going back to Inverell before winter I'm probably going to go to billabong blue straight away. Everyone's luck seems to be coming from there.

Managed to take some decent photos, it's mainly green but there's a little bit of blue in there. :p
1426757079_image.jpg
1426757094_image.jpg
1426757106_image.jpg
1426757117_image.jpg
1426757128_image.jpg

Pity it's not clear mate a quality stone that size would be worth a small fortune, will make a nice cab though. Still a nice find none the less. I've got a few big ones like that that make me go doh! I've seen good ones twice that size at BB so they are there.

Latest posts