Mineral Id please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the gems and minerals and on a recent trip to the blackwood area in victoria I stumbled across a quartz rock and cushed it open to find a dark green, sort of waxy like inclusion inside with small pockets of a green/blue/grey powder like substance. Any ideas on what this could be?

1402726532_2014-06-14_11.33.31.png

Thanks, Dan.

Seems like there are so many different minerals it could potentially be! Might have to get this tested as it doesn't seem like something common enough to ID via a photo!

Thanks for the input though

Just be careful it's not mercury,the old timers used a lot it in them days.blackwood forest had fine gold and deep :eek:

Thanks! Any suggestions as to where I can get it tested in the western suburbs in Melbourne?

G'Day

From the photo it looks like quartz with some chlorite. Quite common in the Victorian goldfields. Take it to the museum or the Vic geological survey.

araluen

Thanks Swright, Yes the museum sounds like the best idea! Looking forward to find out some info on the specimen to add it to the old knowledge bank. Cheers.

The Green Wanderer said:
Looks like natural citrine with maybe olivine? Very dark in colour though so could be wrong.
As a rule of thumb i dont think quartz and Olivine will ever be found together. Chlorite sounds like a likely candidate.

Fair point shivan hence my doubt.
On reflection its next to impossible for the two to occur together except in highly active volcanic reigons, even then it would be an anomaly.
Far more likely then that this a pocket or bubble formed in the molten silica.

Latest posts