Minelab PRO-SWING 45 Metal Detector Harness tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As per the post recently made by Dave from Miners Den, Minelab have just released their PRO-SWING 45 Metal Detector Harness which is suitable for all metal detectors. See here for the original post https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=22416#p22416

What do you guys think? Maybe they'll send me one out to test for you guys :lol:

pro-swing45.jpg

Nugget.

I would be most interested in a field report - I just got a second-hand 4500 with the factory harness. The one that came with the 4500 looks OK but even a small improvement in comfort is worth the price. And to their credit, it's a nice fair price as well.

I would like to see one of these harnesses come out with an inbuilt camelback. I used one on the weekend for the first time and had no way of carrying water. When I use my GMT I can wear a camelback because it has no harness. Maybe someone could invent one. Might be worth a shot. Cheers, Rick

These have a lot going for them!

Even when you are run-in and detecting-fit, it takes every strain off by having a quality snug fitting upper body harness and bungy combo.
Heavy Vlf's with or without big coils, and GP's with or without, they are a great idea. Betting they sell and keep on selling.

These were advertised on the forum early in August. Any feedback yet? I have had one review from a very reliable and seasoned prospector. He assures me the weight of the bungy cord is transferred evenly down your back. I am swaying on getting one before the free postal delivery dead-line, but was wondering if any-one has any news.

I just recently purchased one of these, it took me a little while to adjust for use.

I soon discovered that the J-strut which distributes the weight needs to sit higher than your shoulder so that the weight of the detector and coil is transferred to the harness. I first had it below my shoulder and after about an hour my shoulder was aching. Once I had that right it works great. I use an existing anchor bracket that I already have on my 4500; I will save the velcro anchor bracket that came with the harness to use with my Etrac.

I have only been out a couple of times since and I do like it, but the whole system lacks a 'bag' to carry other kit stuff. But with time I will modify a bag to attach to the harness.

Ts.

If you do purchase one, make sure when you assemble it, particularly the J-strut when you connect it to your harness that you loosen the shoulder straps so that there is plenty of room push both ends of the J-strut into the top of the harness and the bottom of the harness, don't bend the J-strut forcefully, the ends will 'click' lock into place. (Hope that sounds clear).

cheers Scott.

Treadsoftly said:
I just recently purchased one of these, it took me a little while to adjust for use.

I soon discovered that the J-strut which distributes the weight needs to sit higher than your shoulder so that the weight of the detector and coil is transferred to the harness. I first had it below my shoulder and after about an hour my shoulder was aching. Once I had that right it works great. I use an existing anchor bracket that I already have on my 4500; I will save the velcro anchor bracket that came with the harness to use with my Etrac.

I have only been out a couple of times since and I do like it, but the whole system lacks a 'bag' to carry other kit stuff. But with time I will modify a bag to attach to the harness.

Ts.
Yes i found it a bit of a problem at first as well, after a couple of hours my back was giving me hell , but as you say if you have the J strut high up it is very comfortable ,and it will save me buying 2 hipsticks a year as i found that with a lot of use they have a weak point where it clips on your belt that breaks. :cool:

If you are using a GPX machine, then there's many that will fit your belt (try Mindrs Den etc). If you are using a Zed, then you should consider carrying your pick over your shoulder.

Ive been using the stock harness with my gpx4500 and Ive adjusted it as much as I can and its still loose on my waist. This is turn causes the bungee on my shoulder to always pull downwards leaving me constantly adjusting the bungee cord as its always loosening. I thought maybe upgrading to the pro swing 45 will fix this issue?

I hear you VicGoldHunter. It does the same thing for me with my 5000. It's an uncomfortable bloody thing, and I wish there was some aftermarket version that was more comfortable.

The Pro-Swing 45 harness uses J-Struts on both sides, which terminate at the bungee holder loop, taking the weight to your hip.
I think they're great, but each J-Strut comes in two pieces which clip together, but regularly separate, which was a bloody nuisance, until I put a small bolt through each. Haven't had that problem since.
I also have the original harness that came with my 4500, but never use it.

Latest posts