Minelab Pro Find 25 tips, settings, question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loamer said:
Minelab PRO-FIND 25 Pinpoint Probe - any users out there?

This is part of the blurb and the bit I find confusing is that it eliminates interference when it (the detector or the pin-pointer???) is switched off. Really?? Something gets switched off and it won't interfere? What does that mean?

hi mate
what they are referring to is the pro-find won't interfere with the 5000 machines like the garret pinpointer does even when switched off
the garret does not interfere with all machines just some, apart from this fault they are a little better than the pro find as the pro find is vlf and the garrets is p.i
there is two ways of stopping the garrets interfering
1. is to make a metal holster (I don't recommend this as the less metal you carry the better)
2.is to put a switch inbetween the on/off button and the battery so it isolates the battery completly

but the very best thing to do is practice pin pointing, once mastered it's quicker and easier than using a pin pointer unless your got a target two and a half feet deep in rock hard ground and you don't want to mark it.
regards trashy

Dont know, you may well have a dud. 1gm nuggie, I dont use it to find the nuggies it use it so I can move through trashy places alot faster.

Lots of trash means place has not been flogged, as for nuggets the 5000 pin points nuggies down to below .1gm.

My smallest so far pin pointed with the 5k, 75mm or so down went .036gram. dam small.

hey guys .just need some advice .I just purchased a minelab pro find 25 pinpointer from ebay and am wondering weather I made the right decision .I watched 2 videos on youtube where guys were saying it wasn't very good and that it had a lot of sensitivity in air tests with metal but when the metal was covered with soil it was not very strong .just wondering if anyone has one that could put my mind at ease that ive made the right purchase :).

mike90199 said:
hey guys .just need some advice .I just purchased a minelab pro find 25 pinpointer from ebay and am wondering weather I made the right decision .I watched 2 videos on youtube where guys were saying it wasn't very good and that it had a lot of sensitivity in air tests with metal but when the metal was covered with soil it was not very strong .just wondering if anyone has one that could put my mind at ease that ive made the right purchase :).
I've bought two of these pinpointers. One for me, and one for she-who-must-be-obeyed. Great little tools and come into their own when digging deeper targets. Don't know how many times I'd dug past a target only to, eventually, finding it in the side of the hole (and halfway to ground level). These pinpointers help save a lot of unnecessary digging and also help find the target once it's unearthed. Get out and try it and, as long as it's a genuine product, you won't be disappointed.

I know the exact you tube clips that you are talking about, but I reckon he just had a lemon, or he may have other "interests" at heart. So best not to make assumptions based on one blokes findings, the Pro-find works just fine as a pinpointer, and will detect buried targets from a decent range, even from the surface. :)

Mine arrived Yesterday morning, It works as Intended.... Not sure it will get much use but Its something to have.. or resell on ebay :)

I've been putting mine to use on the beach and it works pretty well, saved me searching forever for the tiny slivers of metal

have had mine for about 8 months and have found that it is excellent for finding targets in both deep holes and shallow ones. Only problem that I found, was that the 4 small holes eventually blocked with dirt/mud and I lost most of the volume. Once I worked it out and cleaned out the holes, the pointer returned to normal.

Trev111

Iv e had mine for 9 months. No issues, saves time and keeps the hole size to a minimum.

Also lets you know how far the pointer is away from the target by increasing tone and vibration.

You can raise the sensitivity level by pushing the + button when its on.

The internet can be confusing for research, for every good review, you will find a bad one.

I cant fault it!

Cheers

trev111 said:
have had mine for about 8 months and have found that it is excellent for finding targets in both deep holes and shallow ones. Only problem that I found, was that the 4 small holes eventually blocked with dirt/mud and I lost most of the volume. Once I worked it out and cleaned out the holes, the pointer returned to normal.

Trev111

That's probably about the most annoying design issue with the pro-find, putting the speaker holes right where your grubby mits end up. They probably should have moved it to the side like on my Nokta pinpointer.

hey guys just used it today and saved me heaps of time .only problem I noticed was everytime I turned the pinpointer on my 705 would also make a noise and then when I went to pick my 705 up it would be locked onto -6 or 12 until I pressed the pinpoint button twice where it would then return to - - im wondering am I doing something wrong or is my pinpointer interfering with my metal detector somehow .ive only had my 705 for 3 days so was just wondering .

I have the same pin pointer and also a 705. I have found that when you turn the pin pointer on, hold it away from everything. I usually just point it behind me when turning it on and once it is on then stick it down the hole. I have not had a problem with it interfering with the 705 unless when the coil is sitting right beside the hole when I am using the pointer.

hey willo thx for reply .yeh I just spoke to minelab and the technician said that when the 705 is put in pinpoint mode the detector can become unstable when left in this mode for to long so I have to disengage it after I find target then turn the pinpointer on .have you found much with your 705 I just brought one a few days ago from anaconda and I asked them for a better price than $990 and they gave it to me for $760 they literally game me 200+ off lol .maybe it had been there for a long time or something but I was stoked either way :).oh it was the gold pack to .

Great buy Mike, I paid full price for mine...Maybe I should have haggled a bit....I have found enough bottle tops, cans, ring pulls and other trash to build a small mountain. On the other hand I have found a few nice old 1800's pieces of cutlery which cleaned up well (they are now at the local historical museum.), and plenty of coins. I am yet to find any pre decimal coins though. I am going to get it out to a few of the old gold areas down here and see if I can find something shiny with it. Not expecting much but I just enjoy walking around listening to the hum and tones coming out of the head phones.

Having an adjustable sensitivity comes in handy. If you have a big target at the bottom of the hole it can sound off from some distance away, so you're not really pinpointing it's exact location. Drop the sensitivity, and hey presto.

Also, by using it on the default middle Sensitivity setting allow you to gauge the depth of your targets. I worked a spot recently with the CTX, and all the coins were 4 inches plus, and most of the pull tabs and ring pulls were on the surface. So when I got a signal, before digging I powered up the Pro-Find and if I got a response, I knew it was most likely trash; but if no signal, I knew it was deep and would have a better chance of it being a coin. Love then when you are sweeping the Pro-Find and you can't get anything, you press the + Sensitivity pad and then you hear a "bip .. bip .. bip" sound - "I see you" :p

Hi all. I was just wondering if coal or highly mineralised soils will set of my pin pointer. My 4500 detector was faintly going off this weekend. I dug out the hole until there was no signal left in the hole. I eventually seperated the dirt I dug out into four sections. Each section of dirt was still sitting off my detector. When I used my pinpointer I got no signal on any of the four piles of dirt. I then clumped the dirt in my hand and squeezed it to make it solid. It then slightly set off my pin pointer. Is this typical of highly mineralised soil or coal?

Got some similar results and took some of the "soil" home, a good handful would set off the pinpointed .... run a magnet over it and small pieces are attracted to it ... think it's just very fine broken down ironstone (but could be way off the mark ??)
Cheers T.

I recently bought a Minelab Pro Find 25 pinpointer and have been having probems with it.
Sometimes I turn it on and it won't pick up metal at all. I try locating the target and it doesn't beep or vibrate, but the light is on. I found this out when I went to locate a target and as I was moving the pinpointer slowly through the sand it pushed a coin out of the dirt, but wasnt beeping. I have since been testing it when I turn it on with a coin or similar and probably 1 in every 10 times it doesnt work when turned on.

Also I noticed that any slight pressure on the pinpointer makes it beep. I dont dig around in the ground with it when using it, but even the slightest pressure on the pinpointer sides or end makes it start beeping. Sometimes it will start beeping and not stop even when held at arms length and away from myself and the ground.

Anyone else had this problem?
I am going to take it back to the place I purchased it from and get an exchange or refund, but just curious if it is common or not. If it is I will get a refund and buy something else.

Sounds like its faulty, I have heard of other people getting a bad now and again. You should be able to put pressure on the pin pointer so that doesn't sound right. One thing that some people don't think about is when you turn it on hold it away from any metal so it doesn't balance out metal

Latest posts