Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
limpalot said:
I taped my coils as soon as I got them, Used Scotch cloth tape from Bunnings. Nenad sent a cig lighter charger with the unit, great bloke to deal with.

OK so will stick to what I've always done and tape the coil.

Assume you just solder the lighter connections ? Pretty sure I'll be able to get one from Jaycar when lockdown ends for me.
Although with 27 left thumbs might get someone to solder for me.

Cheers T.

When you solder if you do because crimp connectors are preferred due to the lead having some flexibility. Even so make sure you give wires a good solid heat sensitive shrink sleeve to to minimize the flexing at the joints.

1633328273_d5be0256-f852-40b3-9c3e-1c010ccf3699.jpg

If ya get this narva plug teemore it's cut strip and fit,no soldering....

:The skid plate is such a good fit it doesn't need to be taped. As for the charger JUST buy a cig plugin unit with the right fitting on the other end, they are available probably at jacar .it saves mucking around and risking a short circuit :Y:

My skid plate was not a good tight fit so I have taped it and as mentioned earlier went to Jaycar with the Minelab cable to show them what I required and walked out with a complete cable with the cig plug already fitted, cost about $6 from memory. Make sure you are sold the correct plug to fit a Minelab battery, there are two that look the same to the us plebs. Don't ask how I found out, I was able to do an exchange on my second visit to the shop. I have kept the Minelab cable as a backup.

hippyhunter said:
Minelab seems to think we have VERY deep pockets. Just printed out the pocket guide and it measures 30cm deep :lol:
Maybee calling it a "sock guide" or "sleeve guide" would be more accurate.. or even make it trimable so it actually fits in a regular sized pocket. :idea:
:|
If you bought a GPX600, it goes without saying that you have deep pockets and suitability long arms for reaching down to the very bottom of them!
Anyone recouped their investment yet?

Dave79 said:
hippyhunter said:
Minelab seems to think we have VERY deep pockets. Just printed out the pocket guide and it measures 30cm deep :lol:
Maybee calling it a "sock guide" or "sleeve guide" would be more accurate.. or even make it trimable so it actually fits in a regular sized pocket. :idea:
:|
If you bought a GPX600, it goes without saying that you have deep pockets and suitability long arms for reaching down to the very bottom of them!
Anyone recouped their investment yet?
:lol: I must say you are persistent so I gotta give you points for trying Dave :zzz:

:clap: You sound like a broken record Dave.

I've had mine now for 4 months and been in lockdown for about 90% of that time, when I have got out I've been very happy with it's performance and ease of use and found gold on most trips, given I sold my other 3 detectors to fund this 6000 I have no doubt I made the right choice that suits my needs.

Not sure why you are so intent on bashing the 6000 Dave, if you don't like it, don't want one or can't afford one then that's fair enough but being so negative and bashing the 6K at every opportunity says more about you than the 6000, think about that.

It took us 12 weeks to wear out the skid plate at tibooburra this year and you are scrubbing it over quarts and shale up there so i can't see it being fragile. I purchased a new heavy duty nugget finder when we got HOME for $34 so after finding an ounce of au with the original i think its a fair thing.
Just my take on it.
Jim :) :Y: :perfect: :goldnugget:

reynard said:
It took us 12 weeks to wear out the skid plate at tibooburra this year and you are scrubbing it over quarts and shale up there so i can't see it being fragile. I purchased a new heavy duty nugget finder when we got HOME for $34 so after finding an ounce of au with the original i think its a fair thing.
Just my take on it.
Jim :) :Y: :perfect: :goldnugget:

12 weeks to wear out a skid plate ?? Wow.

I have an X coil that is 2 years old and has done at least a thousand hours, and the skid plate is still fine.

My original ZED14 still has it's original skid plate, and it did several thousand hours before I retired the coil.

My wife's 17x13 EVO skid plate has only just worn out after about a thousand hours.

12 weeks is very ordinary for any skid plate ! :8

Rick

It depends on the way you swing I suppose.
Tibboburra requires constant scrubbing and is covered with sharp quartz.

Redfin said:
It depends on the way you swing I suppose.
Tibboburra requires constant scrubbing and is covered with sharp quartz.

True, I guess we don't scrub that hard ! LOL

Rick

I consider myself a scrubber but I know people that will do roughly the same amount of detecting as me in the same/similar country but wear out 2-3 skidplates to my 1.
They must lean into it :lol:
Some areas though are pretty savage on them (sharp quartz, shale, slates) but I find more gouged type marks or wear on the corner/edge where your trying to push the coil into gaps etc. than overall wear.
SDC skidplates were bad for the pinhole wear around the corner/edges. Sometimes not even noticed until taking off for a clean & seeing the sunlight come thru.
So far the 6000 skidplate seems to holding up ok but in saying that it's seen more hours in "sheep paddocks" than reefy or surfaced type areas as yet.

i put a thin layer on the pad of liquid metal but u make sure it not the one with metal shaving in the product

At tibooburra the gold is soooooo small you needto get your coil as close as possible, every mm counts . While 12 weeks dosntsound long thats 6hrs a day 6 day's a week with 2 off us sharing the detector. I put the 5000's away they couldn't compete on8such tiny bits 31.6 gr 455 pieces. Plus shotgun pellets running at about 8 to 1
Jim

When paying 4, 8 or 10,000 for a detector the $20 or less for a coil is peanuts .....
Worn out heaps of SDC skid plates but the heavy duty version lasts forever.

With the 6000 pretty sure the old 11" plates from the 4800 will probably fit anyway so have a couple of spares on hand.

I heard tape can cause the coil to be noisey on the GPX 6000. Was posted on a GPX 6000 Facebook group by a respected poster.
I have one but are unable to use it because of the never ending lockdowns.

Latest posts