Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muk said:
Dont know what it will be like but Im sure it will be a awesome detector just like all the minelab detectors before it dont knock it if you can afford it buy it if not just use the minelab you have just like what I do. Cheers Muk.
Yep i agree with that :) Its a minelab, it wont be crap.

A-team said:
Was out at Inglewood today, used the 7000 - collected more lead shot. Thought I'd give the Modified 5000 for a run with the 8x12 EVO due to the dense forest - continued collecting more lead shot. Just goes to prove (in my eyes) the 5000 can be "tuned" to most every occasion. Keen to see the 6000 up against the other ML detectors.
From what Ive read of Minelab Patents, the limited amount I can actually understand, Minelab have found a way to remove the need to tune settings for specific conditions.
From what Ive read, in any detector receive signal, there are multiple unwanted noise signals caused by different ground and atmospheric conditions which have different electrical signatures. They vary in intensity relative to extent of the cause of noise (mineralisation, hot rocks, emi). Past and current GPXs have manual settings to enable a user to adjust signal processing to suit specific conditions. If Im interpreting the 6000 technology correctly it seems to be able to concurrently filter out multiple unwanted noise signals/signatures, and produce clear target signals irrespective of noisy conditions. Im thinking the 3 overlapping feedback systems is what this is referring to. However, I could be totally wrong. I look forward to the day when the simple explanation of how the 6000 works is released.

Dignit said:
A-team said:
Was out at Inglewood today, used the 7000 - collected more lead shot. Thought I'd give the Modified 5000 for a run with the 8x12 EVO due to the dense forest - continued collecting more lead shot. Just goes to prove (in my eyes) the 5000 can be "tuned" to most every occasion. Keen to see the 6000 up against the other ML detectors.
From what Ive read of Minelab Patents, the limited amount I can actually understand, Minelab have found a way to remove the need to tune settings for specific conditions.
From what Ive read, in any detector receive signal, there are multiple unwanted noise signals caused by different ground and atmospheric conditions which have different electrical signatures. They vary in intensity relative to extent of the cause of noise (mineralisation, hot rocks, emi). Past and current GPXs have manual settings to enable a user to adjust signal processing to suit specific conditions. If Im interpreting the 6000 technology correctly it seems to be able to concurrently filter out multiple unwanted noise signals/signatures, and produce clear target signals irrespective of noisy conditions. Im thinking the 3 overlapping feedback systems is what this is referring to. However, I could be totally wrong. I look forward to the day when the simple explanation of how the 6000 works is released.

It could do really well if the concept works. Without the need to manually tune you won't be swinging away, debating if you should adjust or adjust and get it wrong. Howmany times have you spent hours detecting and thought later it might have been better with different settings?

The key is it needs to get it right, I'll believe it when I see it on the front

I cant publicly say, or the bloke who showed me the videos will get in trouble. :playful: :goldnugget:
It also picked up a pretty nice nugget, not double figures, but nice, however the Zed got a better response on that one.

davent said:
I cant publicly say, or the bloke who showed me the videos will get in trouble. :playful: :goldnugget:
It also picked up a pretty nice nugget, not double figures, but nice, however the Zed got a better response on that one.
Happy to hear about the zed getting a better response :)

Im not really in any loop.
I dont even know anyone who works for minelab or any of the big dealerships.
My detecting contacts are very limited.I dont have access to any secret info sadly.

So are there any leaks on a price for it yet? I was hoping no more then 6k but thats just wishful thinking as Id be guessing more around the 8k Mark.

Northeast said:
A US dealer on DP Forum said it is 6K US. So that makes it about $7,900 Australian.

But who knows as a final price.

So why wouldn't you go the extra step to a 7000? I see it falls nicely between existing detectors, so ONLY if it performs as they say would it be worth 7.9k. Getting very excited! Actually sold my 5000 already....but don't see me moving from the 7000 to the 6000...

My guess would be weight and portability. Have to wait it out to evaluate performance though.

From everything Minelab are promoting the target market is sdc/gpx users looking to update that dont want to leave the strength of the mentioned models that also want new detector warranty.

A-team said:
Northeast said:
A US dealer on DP Forum said it is 6K US. So that makes it about $7,900 Australian.

But who knows as a final price.

So why wouldn't you go the extra step to a 7000? I see it falls nicely between existing detectors, so ONLY if it performs as they say would it be worth 7.9k. Getting very excited! Actually sold my 5000 already....but don't see me moving from the 7000 to the 6000...

It is a bit of a guess at this stage but from what it sounds like is that it will go deeper on smaller pieces than an SDC and generally deeper across all sizes of gold than a 5000. My biggest bet is that it is going to handle ground mineralisation/hot rocks as well as an SDC but have the versatility/punch of a 5000. It is a gamble but, hey, why not?

It is also lighter, wireless, has a speaker, 2 batteries (Z only comes with 1 and a spare is priced ridiculously), 2 coils as standard, a 17" coil that is already developed although who knows when it will be available in Aus. I have had a Z and loved it. Sold it due to not using it enough. Now in a position to get out more and want to get back into a good unit.

And $1,500 cheaper than a Z is still $1,500 in my wallet. And I've got 2 mates with Z's and a father-in-law with an SDC so it won't hurt to have a bit of different technology on board.

Calculated gamble :D

davent said:
Im not really in any loop.
I dont even know anyone who works for minelab or any of the big dealerships.
My detecting contacts are very limited.I dont have access to any secret info sadly.

In that case you don't know that the 6000 is more sensitive to small gold than the GPZ. Just speculation.

My Z regularly gives me signals on gold that barely registers on the scales, last week I got a piece that was .06G at about an inch deep. I don't see how anything could be better than that.

I've had 0.04g with my 4500 at around 1" (using a small 14*9 Evo coil though, and the nugget was smooth, round and flat - so that helped).
I thought a Zed was far better than that........

Latest posts