Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was wrong about the 14" coil being mono. Early reports suggested that both coils were mono. And now there is a 17" mono option. Wonder what it weighs?

PS Heatho, no sour grapes, just my attempt at humour.

Reg those specs have paid for all my gear so Im happy you ole fellas cant be bothered with them. If you happened upon 50 or 60 five and ten dollar notes scattered in a small area of the bush Im sure youd just leave them there. Mind you youve left a few ok pieces as well luckily for me. :Y:

Perth Tim said:
grubstake said:
I'll just leave this here:
What do the stars even mean? I find it hard to believe any detector gets worse the bigger the target.

The chart is comparing nugget sizes against the overall capabilities for each model (which presumably takes into account their depth penetration). It's sort of a 'horses for courses' comparison, if you're familiar with that racing term. The gist of it is that according to Minelab, the 6000 beats the other three models across ALL nugget sizes. I have no idea why the GPZ isn't shown, though.

1611207724_comp_perf.jpg

My guess would be that there marketing it as a replacement for the stated detectors but not as good as the z. Ill let others be the bunnies and wait an see before forking out a wad of cash.

So it's starting to look like a dumbed down 5000? Now, what I mean is a GPX with only basic "optimum" settings pre-programmed. Think I'd be sticking to the GPX, while I think it has to many options, I'd rather have to many than to little. Surely they are not marketing this to experienced detectorist?

Positives are the move to modern ergonomics and all-in-one design. Nice screen, I hope it doesn't have the same crappy, soft, scratchy 7000 LCD dull dust magnet screen?

Also, yes, where was the GPZ 7000 in that star rating list? what were the results based on? which coil and which of the 1,000 settings the GPX is capable of was the data based on? To many questions....Truly, this detector will have a market - it will suit some but not others, and not me.

The comparison chart was definitely designed by the "marketing" department - the 6000 is the ONLY one to get a five star rating??? Hey, I will put my 25 inch NF on my 5000 and test it on 100g at a meter deep.....

Don't you just love it -advertising. Manipulating the minds of people who are dreaming of the one "Nugget" that will guarantee the rest of their lives living by the sea and sand. If I buy the dearest detector the odds are better than a cheaper model. By geez you would have to be lucky.
Getting to know your detectors intricacies is not easy and knowing the coils to use in the right areas is a huge asset. Practice in using the detector with different coils and settings is the clue.
Add 85% luck and finding something that will pay off your detector plus costs of food and fuel etc. That's where the planning comes in-Do it right and you might end up alright.
'tis a game of chance and knowledge the odds of breaking even are the game.
Jaros.

At the end of the day, regardless of how dumbed down or little settings it seems to have, how much heavier or expensive it is, if it starts pulling gold out on the grounds where most other detectors struggle to hit a single target, it will be a winner.
So everything is just opinions and hypotheticals until we see the proof of what it can actually do in the field.
I'm not in the market for a new detector but will be watching with interest over the next few months for sure, just never know.

If minelab was someone selling supplies to a town and that town had no newbies coming in,the gene pond would dry up and only the dinosaurs would be left talking about the days before the meteorites hit and eventual extinction would ensue.

In 2015 i remember the sdc was the hype and then the zed. It seemed like innovative stuff that i could cope with.
No disrespect to the guys an gals with gpx's they earned their badges as a competent operator and knowledge holders of hard yards obtained.

If the 6000 is a deeper sdc with gpx users approval everyone will win eventually from the technical advances but the dinosaurs will still reign from the experience obtained.

go the 6000 :power:

thefitter said:
Is it just me , but I dont care about the gpx6000 .I will just keep using the 5000 I own
You must care enough to take a peak at the thread :lol:

Agree though, there's no use worrying about something you can't even buy yet. Just keep using whatever machine you own & be happy that we can do that.

I plan to buy a new detector, and travel west in may.
Question is which detector should I buy.. the new 6000 or the old 7000.?
It's a gamble. Buy a new 7000, which is due to be replaced by a new flagship model, or buy a 6000 which might not be as good as 7000..
Any suggestions?

thefitter said:
Is it just me , but I dont care about the gpx6000 .I will just keep using the 5000 I own

But mate, if not enough of us show interest in it and buy it, no after market coil company will make the $1000 coils to make it work like a Z or an SDC. And, nobody will mod the electronics for $2000 either! Wake up bro and show some support for the industry! :lol:

Supporting the industry? Yeah, that's okay, but what about the industry supporting us by giving us real information and not just marketing spin.
People accuse me of being anti Minelab, but I am just anti BS. If this new detector was superior to others, and suited my prospecting style and needs then I would buy it in a flash.
In the mean time I will wait until I can actually try one in the field.

Latest posts