Minelab Excalibur series tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly Ramjet, I should have been diving with the repaired detector for the last few weeks. However for once a person who said "we value what our customers think" actually followed it up with actions - I find this pretty rare.
My Gopro pooped itself some 2 weeks after getting it, I took it back to the store and expected them to stuff me about, stall or say we need to send it back to the factory etc... however they tried turning it on, verified when I purchased it and then replaced it on the spot, it seemed too good to be true so I thanked them and just quietly walked out of the store hoping I wasn't hallucinating .... as a result my wife and I have bought large white goods from them since then.

Option A + Option C sounds like the best solution to me. Then I suggest you contact PA Sponsor, Anger Management (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=3760), who I believe is pretty much the full bottle on repairs/modifications to Excaliburs and is spoken highly of by those I've read who have used his services. He should be able to tell you whether your Excal is salvageable or of scrap value only.

The sea hunter is pulse induction So be prepared
to dig everything though if Your going with a PI.

The sea hunter is built like a tank and you
Can buy these cheap enough though 2nd hand.
I sold mine for $650 and it was purchased from
The USA via the Auction site.

Phil at the mining centre might be abke to help
You out if you need some advice or parts since
He was a dealer for Garretts for a long time.

I did email you with my suggestion of detector
Purchase.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with it.

thanks Grubstake - AM has been in touch with me some time ago privately and suggested what he thought the problem might be.
Minelab for some reason came up with different reasons and when I hinted at what it might be (thanks to AM) they were happily dismissive, and they even guessed AM's real name when I mentioned the forum - but despite that they also failed to fix the problem.
I decided to send the detector to Minelab because (and no disrespect to AM) I know where they live :) and if I had to I could drive over the border. I had bought the detector from a forum member and despite that there's been issues with the detector which weren't disclosed at the time of sale...and I'm not inferring anything more than that. At the time sending the detector to some one I don't know didn't seem like such a good idea - I suspect I am wrong on that count now.

Yep will probably go for option A + C. Will sleep on it. However the idea of diving and detecting at the same time might keep me awake :)
Hopefully I'll be uploading diving videos of me soon not getting rich but fanning tonnes of junk jewelry & decimal coins.... and frankly that's enough to make me happy.

Robert Le Mal said:
Very unhappy with the service - happy to post details here if people want (I have records of phone calls & emails which I am preparing in a document for Consumer Affairs). Normally I wouldn't offer to post details like this publicly but if I'd known how bad their service is I wouldn't have bought their product. Someone else might benefit from my frustration and frankly Minelab should know poor service will come out publicly sooner or later.

Robert

Do it please mate.

Hey Wolfau, thanks for the message, and I have looked at that detector but it's out of my price range. Even the heavily discounted Excal 2 is beyond what I can afford.
The Sea Hunter means I will be digging or fanning a lot however it's a heap cheaper second hand and you're right it's sturdy and simple like a T-34, the headphones can be disconnected unlike the Excal... having used the one I'm looking at purchasing I'm impressed by it's simplicity.
I do have a CTX3030 which I used for dry land and wading and it's so far ahead of the Sea Hunter but I wouldn't get it deeper under the water than 1.5 meters for fear of flooding it (too many points which aren't sealed as well as I'd like).

When I dived with the Sea Hunter, while I loaned my CTX to another forum member (who's now gunning for an XP Deus) I got a lot of hits and I didn't really know what I was doing. For the skills I have I reckon it will keep me busy for a long time. While waiting for my detector to be fixed I've become quite good at finding old bottles ...

Redfin - given that Minelab have responded in a fair fashion I won't be publicly posting the gory details. I think their display of good faith needs to be returned. If there's something specifically you'd like to know (if for example you've had issues with Minelab previously) I'm happy to respond privately.

Do remember Garrett only offer a 1 year warranty on the Sea Hunter 2, vs 2 years on most of their other detectors, so depending on when it was purchased, it may already be expired.

Glad to hear of a good outcome, it wasn't pretty but you got there in the end. Despite that, it shouldn't have taken so long to be resolved in the first place, not exactly good customer service. :|

Robert Le Mal said:
Hey Wolfau, thanks for the message, and I have looked at that detector but it's out of my price range. Even the heavily discounted Excal 2 is beyond what I can afford.
The Sea Hunter means I will be digging or fanning a lot however it's a heap cheaper second hand and you're right it's sturdy and simple like a T-34, the headphones can be disconnected unlike the Excal... having used the one I'm looking at purchasing I'm impressed by it's simplicity.
I do have a CTX3030 which I used for dry land and wading and it's so far ahead of the Sea Hunter but I wouldn't get it deeper under the water than 1.5 meters for fear of flooding it (too many points which aren't sealed as well as I'd like).

When I dived with the Sea Hunter, while I loaned my CTX to another forum member (who's now gunning for an XP Deus) I got a lot of hits and I didn't really know what I was doing. For the skills I have I reckon it will keep me busy for a long time. While waiting for my detector to be fixed I've become quite good at finding old bottles ...

Redfin - given that Minelab have responded in a fair fashion I won't be publicly posting the gory details. I think their display of good faith needs to be returned. If there's something specifically you'd like to know (if for example you've had issues with Minelab previously) I'm happy to respond privately.

Your welcome.

Not much can go wrong with the sea hunter as long
As you prep it properly. I Have owned 2 and a whites
PI 1000.

Just make sure you use the proper grease and
Grease up the o rings on the headphone lead
And the large rear nut and your good to go.

Good luck with it.

grubstake said:
Wolfau said:
Just make sure you use the proper grease and Grease up the o rings on the headphone lead And the large rear nut and your good to go.

What is the proper grease to use, Wolfau?

I don't have a particular brand i use though it lasts
for a long Time.

Always consult the manual in the case for the sea hunter
See point 5 below.

You can buy it from a dive shop but get the type
Suggested by the detector manufacturer
And ask for that particular type.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/Sea-Hunter-Mark-ll.pdf

Robert Le Mal said:
thanks Grubstake - AM has been in touch with me some time ago privately and suggested what he thought the problem might be.
Minelab for some reason came up with different reasons and when I hinted at what it might be (thanks to AM) they were happily dismissive, and they even guessed AM's real name when I mentioned the forum - but despite that they also failed to fix the problem.
I decided to send the detector to Minelab because (and no disrespect to AM) I know where they live :) and if I had to I could drive over the border. I had bought the detector from a forum member and despite that there's been issues with the detector which weren't disclosed at the time of sale...and I'm not inferring anything more than that. At the time sending the detector to some one I don't know didn't seem like such a good idea - I suspect I am wrong on that count now.

Yep will probably go for option A + C. Will sleep on it. However the idea of diving and detecting at the same time might keep me awake :)
Hopefully I'll be uploading diving videos of me soon not getting rich but fanning tonnes of junk jewelry & decimal coins.... and frankly that's enough to make me happy.

Bugger... They know me :) Maybe I can get a job doing repairs out of qld :) I would be in for that...

When you get the unit back if it is still not as you expect... I am happy to have a look...

As I stated in the beginning, and on many other forums etc. If under warranty = send it back. If you can not risk me having a look = send it back...

That being said, I can offer no assurances; as I will have no idea on what has or has not been done to the unit; but happy to have a look.

AM

Robert Le Mal said:

No need, I had assumed you had purchased a lemon from Minelab.
I didn't realise you purchased a faulty second hand detector.
That new Excalibur 2 must have been tempting.

Wolfau - thanks for the advice. I am friends with a dive shop owner (I can service my own gear using their workshop which is excellent) - they use a silicon lubricant on pretty much all O rings - only a few exceptions so I'll take the detector (if I buy it) and do it there. Also the dive shop owner is a serious underwater sea gull like me so no doubt he'll want to see the detector I'll be taking diving. We go diving a fair bit and it gets very competitive - if we dive solo and find a cool bottle we sms each other asap just to rub it in ;-) all good fun.

Goldpick - yeah I suspect buying second hand means no warranty or very reduced warranty. Still the price and the fact I have used the particular detector makes it a risk I will probably take.

Redfin - yep, bought it second hand so Minelab owed me nothing in terms of warranty. They do however have warranty on repairs and that along with tardiness, attitude from a technician plus a few other things made it a poo-ey experience. The Excal is tempting but still too expensive for me - it is however a sign that Minelab are trying to put things right and I appreciate that.

AM - it's a small world dude, and your secret identity is apparently known at Minelab. If I was you I'll move super hero hideout now :) Not sure what I will do. You may be correct but as you say no way of knowing until you actually look at the unit. I might sell the unit for parts or to someone who will buy it cheap knowing it will have to be repaired. Not sure yet. Just want to get back into the water and start finding booty.

Robert Le Mal said:
AM - it's a small world dude, and your secret identity is apparently known at Minelab. If I was you I'll move super hero hideout now :) Not sure what I will do. You may be correct but as you say no way of knowing until you actually look at the unit. I might sell the unit for parts or to someone who will buy it cheap knowing it will have to be repaired. Not sure yet. Just want to get back into the water and start finding booty.

I am sure ML would be aware of me...

But all my dealings with them have been pleasant... Other than the fact that they often do not have parts, that I may be chasing... And I can understand why in some cases :)

They have been good to me to date; and I have no problems with them (Actually support and like their products). If others being aware that I have some skills and am willing to have a go at OLD units and or those out of warranty, then that may save some a few dollars...

At the end of the day; I am sure there are a few like me around the place.

As to buying your unit cheep and having to repair.... As it has been discussed here, and ML have been unable to perform a repair to you satisfaction, then I do not know who else other than me ??? and or what $$$ might be involved :)

I will leave it with you... Send me a PM and any details and we can chat in detail off line.

well, well, well.
I am getting a new Excal II after all. I was in touch this morning with Minelab, and declined their offer on the basis that we just can't afford that much right now (and I had a second hand unit lined up for a lot less). The manager then made me an offer that I'd be stupid to refuse.

All I can say is wow.
I know I was stuffed around but Minelab's actions do match their promises in terms of looking after the customer.
So I continue to be a Minelab user, having had 3 of their machines.

Wasn't expecting this but am very pleasantly surprised when I am looked after as a customer (this happens so rarely these days).

And now it's like waiting for xmas - itching to dive. Blasted long weekend! Nothing will happen for days :-(

So chookies I guess that's a happy ending.

Sorry AM - must have posted at almost the same time.
Minelab will keep my old Excal (which frankly I don't mind).

I had made plans based on repair refund & return of old detector.
That changed radically about 20 minutes ago.

grubstake said:
Option A + Option C sounds like the best solution to me. Then I suggest you contact PA Sponsor, Anger Management (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=3760), who I believe is pretty much the full bottle on repairs/modifications to Excaliburs and is spoken highly of by those I've read who have used his services. He should be able to tell you whether your Excal is salvageable or of scrap value only.

Thanks GrubStake...

I do try to call a spade a spade and always keep people informed... I know what it is like to have fingers crossed and be short of an instrument and or $$$.

I also dislike the consumer society we live in today; but have to accept that it is what it is.

The Gicar controller in prosumer and commercial coffee machines are $300 to $700 to buy, and they fail quite often... The main cause is a $7 transformer that fails.... But it can take a week to get the right part in and fix; so most just buy a new one....

But I have repaired many for home users that can wait a week and have also been send a few dead ones, which I repair and keep on hand... It is a hobby that keep my mind active, saves a few people a few $$$$ AND I am sure I do not make a dent in the bottom line of ML / Garrett or Coffee Machine suppliers..

Once again, thanks for the kind words...

AM

Robert Le Mal said:
Sorry AM - must have posted at almost the same time.
Minelab will keep my old Excal (which frankly I don't mind).

I had made plans based on repair refund & return of old detector.
That changed radically about 20 minutes ago.

NO do not be sorry - You have a great offer and ML have walked the talk re service. As a Quality Auditor, I can understand and would fully support the final actions as undertaken by them.

I would have been interested just to see if I could perform a fix :)

I do not have the $ to spend nor the need for another machine.... It would have been a bit of an ego exercise :) or a rude awakening :-( And If I did fix it, that could have been an issue for someone...

As I have stated previously, many times - Deal with the Manufacturer where and when ever possible. After that I am usually the last port of call :)

Robert Le Mal said:
well, well, well.
I am getting a new Excal II after all. I was in touch this morning with Minelab, and declined their offer on the basis that we just can't afford that much right now (and I had a second hand unit lined up for a lot less). The manager then made me an offer that I'd be stupid to refuse.

All I can say is wow.
I know I was stuffed around but Minelab's actions do match their promises in terms of looking after the customer.
So I continue to be a Minelab user, having had 3 of their machines.

Wasn't expecting this but am very pleasantly surprised when I am looked after as a customer (this happens so rarely these days).

And now it's like waiting for xmas - itching to dive. Blasted long weekend! Nothing will happen for days :-(

So chookies I guess that's a happy ending.

Now that is great news, well done that man.

Latest posts