Minelab Equinox 800 use on gold - Tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried mine out for 1/2 hour out at warwick on the gold field it was stable and I found some small lead shot and a bullet with ease didn't seem to pick up any hot rocks found a small boot nail about 50mm down and that was with the standard coil 6 inch coil would go even better

Been out with the standard coil with success, looking forward to the 6 inch. I found in ear ear buds paying attention to threshold wavers, and to a lesser degree target id numbers in milder ground the Nox will keep up and even outdo the Monster. The Monster takes over as ground variability increases. Can't say I'm on expert on either though. The Nox will pick up tiny steel chips and birdshot that I find the Monster won't give a crisp signal on.

Never raked so many square metres in my life. I expect that will increase if I get the 6 as I will be able to poke it in areas the standard won't fit to hit the sweet spot at the moment.

Hi Everyone

I was out today had the Nox and the SDC and after getting a 2.56 gram nugget with the SDC I decided to run the Nox over it to see what number it was ringing up and to my surprise it wouldnt pick it up on Gold mode 1 but would on Gold mode 2, but even more unusual was it would pickup a .04 nugget on mode 1 and not the 2.56 nugget.

I found this a bit strange anyone have an explanation for this?.

Cheers

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/dnD_hA-qeCo[/video]

Rapidly moving the coil, especially with the target mostly remaining under the the coil (as demonstrated in the video), can often lead to unexpected results when auto ground balancing is active. A wider and somewhat slower sweep will allow the ground tracking system to rebalance itself and the issue should then cease. In the video, the change of mode allowed the system to recover and stabilise itself, hence the more normal results in Gold mode 2.

Looks like you have notched out high tones on setting 1, if you look at the screen in the first couple of seconds of the video, you can see the issue.
1534725892_ac3f2f4b-3a26-4c39-812e-c32f25c99ee2.jpg

Wally69 said:
Looks like you have notched out high tones on setting 1, if you look at the screen in the first couple of seconds of the video, you can see the issue.

If I'm reading page 46 of the EQ800 instruction manual correctly, I don't think that is possible:
1534728419_eq800_gold_tone.jpg

I meant High Target IDs have been notched out, you can see the black screen marks on low IDs that have been selected on the bottom right of the screenshot, then some clear notches.

Hi all just thinking of getting another all round detector as i already have the 4500 for gold and an old XS2a pro and xterra 70 .. I want something that when i go detecting for gold the kids or missus can have a swing and in with a chance of finding small nuggets close to the surface if they walk over it . It will mainly be used for treasure on beaches and rivers . I was thinking of getting the equinox 800 but am woundering how is this detector on gold close to the surface ? And how it handles the gold fields in Qld.... Thanks

I have not had my nox 800 in the gold feild yet but the test I have done on small nuggets has been good. Will be giving it a go in a gold area soon.
Roy

I've tried my Nox 800 in Tassie, Vic and WA goldfields and found that while it picks up small gold when testing at high sensitivity, you have to turn it down so low in the goldfields that small or deep gold will be hard to pick up. Maybe try the gold monster. The nox is a weapon on coins and relics in parks and on the beach but it's not a gold detector in my opinion.

Thanks for all your replies everyone much appreciated.. I think i will get the equinox 800 as we will be doing alot more treasure detecting when we cant get out to the gold , and the 800 seems to be a great machine for treasure from what i have read . And as far as gold goes with it , as long as who ever is swinging the 800 thinks they are in with a chace of finding gold they will be happy . For awhile anyway :D .. It wont worrie me i will be swinging the gpx 4500 .

nokta fors gold or nokta impact, should do what your after, can vouch for the fors gold , try get the pack with 3 coils, just got mine on ebay a few months ago got it for $420 incl postage at auction, have read lots on impact, theres a good thread under nokta re the impact being used in vic goldfields, :Y:

cash converters web site, has plenty mate, a few monsters, at gold, gold bug2, nox 600, eureka gold, plus others. i know they give you a 3 moth warratnty, cheers. :Y: :)

I just got a equinox 800 from ebay it was $1150 with a book and pin pointer and a ebay discount I paid $1035 it was the best deal I could find Anaconda had them at $1040 but they had to be ordered in .
I live in the gold fields it handles the ground ok in my area doing some tests on 0.2 and .3 it pick up the gold ,I have found some bird shot as well, there are you tube of the equinox finding gold in the USA regards john

yes it will with a standard coil mine will pick up 0.3 gram other using a 6 inch coil are finding smaller pieces regards john :Y:

Yep, it will but it struggles to descriminate between gold and hot rocks in mineralized ground. ie it will give a good signal when waved over a test nugget but will also give off dozens of good signals when waved over hot rocks on mineralized ground. I've just got a 6" coil for mine and am keen to see how it goes on gold so send me a message if you're free Monday or Tuesday next week and we can go do some tests with it.

Latest posts