Minelab 5000 ...coin collecting ..???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubby52

Les
Reaction score
Evening, question on Minelab 5000, My daughter has a Garret pro gold, great on coins, we went out yesterday and the garret , indicates that iron is present by readings and sound, saves heaps of time digging when trash about when coin collecting, I took my 5000 out, couldn't discrimate between iron, steel, lead, had to dig everything, tried putting on iron reject and still had issues, anyone out there use their 5000 coin collecting, and do u have basic settings that can help this poor old dad.....????
A

So sorry but this is classic wrong machine for the job at hand. Even though you are using one of the best machine in the world. This machine is not designed for coins. You would be better of with an aldi machine for coins.

Hello,

You can use the 5000 with the standard issue DD coil, as the 5000 has the iron reject function. But it will only work with a double d coil, the machines threshold will blank when passed over anything ferros (magnetic). The iron reject function can be adjusted to suit your needs.

I does work well, even in town.

The other problem with the gpx5000, you will probably be digging to china on some targets. As mentioned, better off using a vlf or multi frequency vlf with discrimination to have fun collecting coins vs junk. Foil targets can be just as frustrating as iron targets in well used areas, so iron discrimination on its own solves only part of the issue. You can also wind the sensitivity back so you are not trying to decipher between good shallow to medium depth target over deep scratchy targets. Nothing worse than digging a foot deep hole, only to find it is a pull tab or foil for your efforts. Also you can cover more ground with higher swing speeds, plus much lighter weight for all day detecting vs a heavy PI detector. :)
Though depending on where you are using the detector, on the beach the 5000 will have its advantages over the AT Pro in wet sand.

Thanks Dave 14110 and Myspot, thought that might be the case Dave, and Myspot: haven't used my dd coil yet so will be experimenting, I know now why my mate bought a 3030 to compliment his Gpx 5000 ;) :D

G'day Scrubby, the other guys are correct though you can do a few things, as suggested put on the DD, on the front end cap of detector select either DD or if EMI is severe select Cancel.

If you are detecting a beach use Normal or Coin Relic timing and turn down the Rx gain a few steps and the Stabiliser down a few steps too if running in DD and not in Cancel. Coin Relic though being the deepest detecting timing should drastically cut down on the tiniest junk targets you find, Normal will still find plenty of tiny junk, so will Coin/Relic but will mainly miss the very smallest pieces which are the most frustrating to find. You will be digging deep though with C/R timing.

Turn Iron Reject on to about 5. Anything iron will blank the signal.

You'll end up digging a lot of junk but there will be good targets too.......hopefully. The GPX is a great detector for Gold but as the other guys said it's just too sensitive and won't give any real target info apart from rejecting Iron. Parks with a GPX are near impossible because there is just way too much junk most of the time.

The Aldi detectors are great for parks as they only detect about 20cm at most but pretty useless on a beach where good targets sink deeper in the sand. Best time for using a GPX on the beach is after a big storm has washed most of the smaller junk away, only the heaviest things will usually remain.

Hope that helps a bit.

Latest posts