Minelab 4000 help and hints

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there just wondering if I could get some advice I have purchased a second hand minelab 4000 detector, I'm having some trouble finding the right settings to run the machine on I'm picking up a little bit of lead shot here and there but Im having trouble quieting the machine done to find clear signals I'm detecting around Stawell area Victoria Australia which has a lot of hot ground I'm using a 14 inch mono coil, the settings I'm running at the moment are FRONT PANEL: threshold- 1o clock, search mode- general, soil timings- sensitive, ground balance-fixed, coil- mono. DIGITAL DISPLAY- volume 26, tone-60, signal 13, tracking slow, Gb type- general, sensitive smooth, iron reject off, manual tune 128, audio- normal, Gain- 8, Motion-slow, Response-normal.. when I start the detector I press the auto tune button and when it's done it tunes it into around 230 just wondering has this got anything to do with it since I've been told to run the detector around 120- 150 if there's any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Leigh1312 said:
Hi there just wondering if I could get some advice I have purchased a second hand minelab 4000 detector, I'm having some trouble finding the right settings to run the machine on I'm picking up a little bit of lead shot here and there but Im having trouble quieting the machine done to find clear signals I'm detecting around Stawell area Victoria Australia which has a lot of hot ground I'm using a 14 inch mono coil, the settings I'm running at the moment are FRONT PANEL: threshold- 1o clock, search mode- general, soil timings- sensitive, ground balance-fixed, coil- mono. DIGITAL DISPLAY- volume 26, tone-60, signal 13, tracking slow, Gb type- general, sensitive smooth, iron reject off, manual tune 128, audio- normal, Gain- 8, Motion-slow, Response-normal.. when I start the detector I press the auto tune button and when it's done it tunes it into around 230 just wondering has this got anything to do with it since I've been told to run the detector around 120- 150 if there's any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hi there Leigh1312.
I too am a newbie, & I too bought a 2nd hand GPX4000. I started by resetting all to the recommended factory defaults & found it went quiet easily. Then start fiddling with settings when you get a target to see what effect each has, then dig it up to see what you were on. good luck :p

Latest posts