MD for 70yr old enthusiast

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gudday fellow prospectors.

My 70yr old Mum has got the bug after a few days out with some success (a few small nuggets). She thoroughly enjoys and prefers going over old diggings and tailings. She has been looking at purchasing a metal detector that gives her the best options for finding gold and treasures. Currently it is a toss-up between the Minelab Eureka ($1,190) and the Minelab X-Terra 705 ($850) both from Miners Den.

Can anyone offer their suggestions and accolades please to assist her make her choice?

Thank you?

705 comes down to $660, they have that sale pretty often. You would struggle to get a secondhand one for that.

If your mum only gets out occasionally why not be a scout and hire an SDC for her to use .....
Better still buy her one .... I have a 705 but only use it at the beach for coins and such, has found bullets and iron in the goldfields but there are better options. It should find gold in the tailings from old diggers holes but these have been pretty well thrashed by most machines so chances are slim.

I'm with the boys on this one. Spoil the girl and get a her the SDC. Always gold to be found no heavy digging and a smiling mum at the end of the day. :)

I'm with the boys on this one. Spoil the girl and get a her the SDC. Always gold to be found no heavy digging and a smiling mum at the end of the day. :) and your ears will be burning for weeks when she brags to all the other old chookies how she has the best son.

Looks like she is going to get a FORS gold detecting kit from Turkey. Didn't know there were so many options. Wow. She shuddered at the price of the Minelab SDC2300 even though I said I'd shout it, but she has ok'd the FORS. Small investment for big returns. Time. Can't buy it. Will be good to get her outdoors. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Good luck hunting.

The Fors Core is the Better one out of the fors core and the fors Gold because it has the beach Mode which will help in dry salt Lakes apart from that they are both the same and then she can use it on the Beach Too,

Hope this Helps,

Way Ta Go Mum., Bless her.

While the FG is a top performer, id put your mum into the Makro RACER Pro instead...reason being...its much lighter in weight...has the same performance as the Fors models and has the beach mode like the Fors CoRe....and has the optional 10x5 coil at the ready if she finds the 5x4.5 a little too small. The control screen is in your face unlike the Fors models...not that its a real problem due to them being turn on and go type units.
Either way, both are top performers, but will not compete with the SDC.

Narrawa said:
While the FG is a top performer, id put your mum into the Makro RACER Pro instead...reason being...its much lighter in weight...has the same performance as the Fors models and has the beach mode like the Fors CoRe....and has the optional 10x5 coil at the ready if she finds the 5x4.5 a little too small. The control screen is in your face unlike the Fors models...not that its a real problem due to them being turn on and go type units.
Either way, both are top performers, but will not compete with the SDC.

Absolutely, The Racer or the 705 Anything that is Light, But the Racer and that new 5X10 sounds the Ticket,

Latest posts