Max Merrit passes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally a Kiwi, Max had a succession of fantastic bands and had a long time association with the wonderful Stewie Speer on drums. In the 2000's he did a club tour with the talented Doug Parkinson (a great vocalist IMHO) and I would have loved to have seen one of those shows.

"The new Meteors were certainly an unlikely-looking group of rock stars -- counter to the current trend, Max had close-cropped hair, and Stewie was overweight, over 40 and greying, his bald pate covered by the ubiquitous cap. But they were a firm favourite with other groups, a "musician's band" who were also renowned as one of the hardest-working (and hardest-living) groups in the country, an outfit that never compromised, onstage or off. By 1969 Max was Australia's undisputed "King Of Soul" and the Meteors gained added stature when the ABC presented them in a four-part series, Max Merritt and the Meteors in Concert, the first such series ever made in Australia featuring a rock band live in concert. They signed to RCA and recorded their long overdue debut album Max Merritt & The Meteors -- "an impressive collection of brassy, bluesy soul" (Ian McFarlane). The album included their first Australian hit single, their classic cover of Jerry Butler's Western Union Man, which featured a punchy Stax-style brass arrangement by Bob Bertles. It reached #13 on the national chart in December 1969, and the album itself did even better, reaching #8 in June 1970."

A good mate of mine was one of the meteors, a bass player
and toured with Max for about 10yrs. R.I.P Max.

DrDuck I`ve got a couple of bootleg CD`s of Max and Doug that
my mate gave me but I`m not allowed to share them. Great duo for sure.

Latest posts