Manners in the bush.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imbeciles is what they are. Drug and booze infused dickheads. They sniff paint for a kick. Maybe, Scientists should devise a way of teaching them and their parents he manners we have.
It all starts at home with the parents or these days the "parent" being too busy to instil the manners we grew up with.
Jaros :p

I've noticed that when camping solo this happens more often. You turn up at a beautiful camp location, have enough time to get set up and relax out on your deck chair with a cold brew and then some time late in the evening a car load of jokes rock up. They quickly realize you're on your own and get disgruntled at the idea of having to share the camp site with you so use passive aggressiveness to force you out. Last incident for me was at Archer Point heading up to Cape York. At the time I was up there the dozen or so camp sites along the coast were empty. I picked a secluded spot with a good view and parked my car near the waters edge near a camp fireplace. All was well and I was loving the serenity up until about 10pm at night when I hear voices coming from over the hill. A couple of very inebriated looking blokes walk down to my camp. Naturally, i make an effort to greet them only to be completely ignored as they tromp right past me to check out the fire place which was literally 6 feet from my camper and 3 feet from where I sat on my deck chair. They then walk off and I'm already thinking "tools". About 2 minutes later I hear the sound of vehicles coming over the rise and down towards my camp and I realize what's about to happen. Yep, they drive in and park both their 4x4's about 6ft from my camp and point their headlights at me while while they set their tents up. I was seriously pissed off but there wasn't a lot to do against 8 rowdy blokes with an attitude. They carried on as though I wasn't there in the hope I'd get pissed off enough to leave. They got their wish and as I set my alarm for 4am. Alarm goes off just after these monkeys have passed out. I pack up my camp and start the 4x4, back up so I'm a couple inches from their tents and rev the engine a little to get the smoke flowing. I then crank the stereo as loud as it'll go and sit there for a few minutes until I see movement from their tents. Time to spin the wheels and administer a dust bath. To my surprise one guy climbs out of his tent and acknowledges my existance for the first time. :)

How's the nerve of some people nuggetino. I'm probably considered a young bloke by some here, I'm 27. However this behavior disgusts me and seems to go hand in hand with young blokes full of piss and who knows what else. It seems to be the young blokes that have no regard for the bush and leave their shit everywhere and smash bottles etc.
I was always taught as a youngster by my folks 'these are the people that ruin it for everyone'. I've also seen it first hand, where camping spots have been blocked off and in essence closed due to idiots leaving a mess. It seems to me that society is definitely regressing.

Mate, it reminds me of when the missus and I were on our honeymoon on Fitzroy Island NQ. Walked around the point pushed our way through some jungle down onto a little sandy beach between big granite boulders for a spot of snorkelling and you know what. A couple of hours later, a young pommie couple came crashing through the bush, carrying a pram with a little baby in it. Saying nothing, they put their towels about 2 metres away, with the pram, and went into the water. We checked the pram and yes, sleeping baby. After about half and hour out snorkelling they came back in and said, "Thanks for looking after junior!". I said, "Is he still there, I saw a big python in the scrub before". They didn't bat an eye. We left to find another secluded spot.

Should have just told them to help themselves to your food and wallet while they were there. Haha

It happens all to much these days. Mostly young fella's on the turps that think that they're funny and intimidate some poor single/couple either just for a laugh or because they want that spot and they know that's all they have to do to get it. It disgusts me because once they have had a few they have complete disregard and respect for anyone and they can get violent because they think that's what makes them a man.

A mate of mine had a similar thing happen to him a while back.
Camping alone in the bush and some yobbos set up camp nearby and started making arses of themselves.
My mate calmly walked over and informed them that the reason he was camping alone in a secluded area was that he had a rare strand of Hepatitis A which was contagious through the air. He told them he didnt mind them staying there but would have hated for either of them to catch it.
Funnily enough within half an hour they were gone.

BoydWilliam said:
Camping alone in the bush and some yobbos set up camp nearby and started making arses of themselves.
My mate calmly walked over and informed them that the reason he was camping alone in a secluded area was that he had a rare strand of Hepatitis A which was contagious through the air. He told them he didnt mind them staying there but would have hated for either of them to catch it.
Classic :lol:

Potato apple orange anything that will fit up there exhaust pipe stops the car from running then pack up and leave or stay and watch the drop kicks trying to start the car.

Yea I agree mate. I've only been out a few times detecting and on 2 occasions I saw other detectorists. I pulled over and said gday because that's the type of bloke I am. Its great to see others with the same interests etc. I bumped into a bloke named bill with a 5000 from Ballarat earlier this week and chatted away with him for an hour or so at the end of the day. Great bloke and shared some very helpful information with me. We both picked up 2 bits from different locations that day. We showed each other our finds before calling it quits for the day.
I also saw another bloke and his wife working some diggings yesterday and pulled over and walked over to them to say gday. He wasn't as keen for a chat which is fine, was friendly enough though. I'm sure he just wanted to maximize coil swinging time which I understand. I told him exactly where I had found a few bits earlier in the week and took off to find an appealing spot to detect. 10 mins later I saw him drive past headed in the direction where I had told him I found a few bits.
I can't stand people who are standoffish when your out in the bush for whatever reason. We are all out there to enjoy for our own reasons so why not be friendly to the others we see out there with the same intentions. I understand being cautious of an individual or others to begin with, its human nature. I suppose I'm less inclined to be standoffish because I can fight quite well if need be lol

I've gotta admit Walshie that I'm a bit of a yapper when another prosprctor drives past on a track and stops to say g'day , as I always walk it in the bush and it's usually only a ten minute chat anyway. Your both kindred spirits in a way and you understand each other so it's always a fun chat.

I know what you mean about guys that are kind of so-so friendly too. Years ago when the ironbark forrest was so thick there were saplings you couldn't detect through they were so closely packed, even on old bush tracks (the first year of the ten year drought killed em off, solar flare activity ) I was walking along with detector on shoulder and came across a bloke just setting up to detect and his wife and son were with him, I couldn't see or hear him and vice versa but it scared him. So I quickly told him I was just walking through to a K away to a gully I'd been detecting all week , and mentioned to him he'd picked a nice spot as I'd collected many nice specimens but no nuggets on the slight rise to his left and he should do okay there. It seemed he didn't want to chat much so I headed off and walked probably 400m away and they took off in their 4wd???

Because I'm on the hoof I always avoid walking through where someone is detecting or parked, but don't go too far out of my way, just enough distance to stay in sight and wave, but you know most people jump in their car and takeoff, as if they've been caught doing something illegal.

Yea I can understand people wanting to get back to business and that's fine. I could understand being weary of people out there who don't seem to have a purpose like us blokes when we're out there.
For the most part people are friendly enough to have a quick chat, occasionally you'll bump into someone who acts like you've caught them with their pants down and they're not so friendly haha.

I forgot to add. It seems like niche or obscure hobbies attract a fair share of odd units to.

BoydWilliam said:

Pure gold! :lol:

Latest posts