Man called Stan.RIP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tell you all a story about a mad prospector.My old man Stan was a die hard fossicker.Him and his valiant travelled miles through all sorts of terrain looking for gold.One day he came apon a bit of coin and brought himself his first detector.Its was the much loved garrett groundhog.I spent many a trip as a boy scraping out creeks from Sofala to Nundle and back again.This is 40 years ago mind ya.Yep,we travelled all over the shop at every chance he had when he wasn't bustin his backsaide working as a steelfixer to feed his hungry mob.So he finally goes out and gets his dream,a metal detector. I'm 10 years older by now and have headed north for the Isa as I'm a rigger/scaffolder and the mines were payin better than the multi storey sites of Sydney.So I'm off and so is the old man.straight to his mates at Hill End where he only had the weekend to go hunting.Anyways he's back off to Hill End a few weeks later to give his new pride and joy a good going for a week.Well when he gets to his mates house who by the way was left to protect Stans pride and joy he finds a burnt out shell instead of a house.After finding the old mate at the pub he hears how the detector was left under a bed and was burnt to a crisp.Later that evening the old man was a feeling a little tired after returning to his old mates abode so he went for a lie down.An hour or so later as the story goes he got up feeling pretty average and collapsed having a major heart attack.Well with the ambo being at Bathurst and not too many trained medics around my old man Stan lost his life at the age of 46.He was hard man but a fair man and id love to have him here on the creeks with me now.But I do know one thing for sure,he'd be lookin down cursing that he couldn't be here.Its been close to 30 yrs since he left but we have some great conversations out on those creekbeds don't you worry.RIP STAN.

You know guys the funny thing about it is that whilst on our way to Nundle once we camped next to a pine forest.Probably about 1979 id say.So we are sitting there and the old man says that there's probably gold right there so he grabs a pan full of dirt from under a tree.Gives it a wash and what does he find?, a dish full of gemstones.Well he only ever had the gold on his mind and say's that one day we would come back and have a look in that pine forest because its looks the goods.YEP you guessed it, BLACKSPRINGS, which I think is now a mecca for gemstones from what ive read.Cheers

Great story digginhard thanks for sharing, all the best in the creeks and where ever you prospect. Stan is with you in spirit, keep the yarns going.

Sorry about u old man mate .Check out the southern end of Lake Moondarra . Got some good colour there

Great yarn champ I'm sure your old man is watching over you happy fossicking

Latest posts