Malinga Marley WA [whats all the hype]

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to check out Maninga MArley south of Sandstone yesterday and I was amazed at the amount of junk left behind by the old timers. I mean it was virtually undetectable with the Z as my head felt like it was going to explode with all the overloads, boy do I wish nI had the GPX with disc. Just wondering if anyone else has detected there with success and if so what area [mullock dumps, general ground] have you detected. Locals up here rave about it and I am starting to wonder if they send easterners there to keep then away from the real gold [only joking]. All seriousness who has detected around Sandstone and has any suggestions as to descent areas to look. I have checked out Raferty's Patch/Maninga Marley without success, any suggestions would be greatful lay be appreciated.

Rgds

Tryhard.

If the locals are raving about I'd be suspicious as well. Wouldn't think they would give up a spot that easily, maybe they want you to go and dig all the junk up so they don't have to.

All I can say is Gold is where you find it!

It is out there and it is around the area, problem is it is a big area and walking left instead of right or vice versa you may miss something.

Instead of random walking around, do what some of the guys do and clean an area properly, detect it. Then if you found something cleanup a bit more if nothing found then move on.

Sandstone is a huge area. Here is a map showing some geo and old mining activity. You can see some trends in where they work and the rock types. Look into these area more. Also overlaid is live tenements, be aware these change regularly and this may not be current. Do not take it as safe areas to go without doing your own research. Hope that helps a little.

1468388022_sandstone_rsz__1_of_1.jpg

Thanks Westaus really appreciate the information. Did you generate the GEO map with the DMP GeoVIEW.WA?, this is awesome the hard part is knowing how big an area to clean and how much time to spend on one area before moving on, it's always in the back of your head I may have missed the big one by one chain line ;)

Best Rgds

Tryhard

This was done in Google Earth. I do use geoview as well.

In the field you should be using geomap with a usb GPS makes life so much easier out there.

Don't worry about missing stuff I am pretty sure we all have our doubts, as they say just dig everything. That way you should be confident but in reality I know this is sometimes easier said than done...

Keep a it and I am sure you will find what your looking for, make sure you enjoy being there as well, it is not all about prospecting for me anyway :)

tryhard1968 said:
Decided to check out Maninga MArley south of Sandstone yesterday and I was amazed at the amount of junk left behind by the old timers. I mean it was virtually undetectable with the Z as my head felt like it was going to explode with all the overloads, boy do I wish nI had the GPX with disc. Just wondering if anyone else has detected there with success and if so what area [mullock dumps, general ground] have you detected. Locals up here rave about it and I am starting to wonder if they send easterners there to keep then away from the real gold [only joking]. All seriousness who has detected around Sandstone and has any suggestions as to descent areas to look. I have checked out Raferty's Patch/Maninga Marley without success, any suggestions would be greatful lay be appreciated.

Rgds

Tryhard.

Dandarago, along the Sandstone/Paynesfind Road is well worth a look if you can get permission.

Hey WEstaus,

I downloaded the DMP 1:2500000 Geology EArth overlay but it is not as detailed as yours, just wondering where you got your overlay from.

Rgds

Tryhard

If it is that bad then you should try using either an MXT, a Racer 2, Nokta Relic or the Garrett AT Pro, I would not use the GMT, or the Gold Racer or the Nokta Gold machine because the higher frequency machines will suffer, Another machine to consider would be the Eureka Gold in the 20khz setting, Any one of these machines will deal with the trash my one will see bits smaller than 0.01 grams at about an inch or so and bits that can't be weighed on the surface,

From what you are saying this is one situation where a VLF is better than a PI.

hope this helps, John.

Latest posts