Makro Racer 2 unboxing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
My new Racer 2 arrived today from Phasetech, just in time for the Easter long weekend, so thanks Nenad for getting it out to me so promptly.

This is just a bit of an unboxing with a few pics and thoughts, no doubt my partner and I will give the Racer a thorough workout over the weekend to see how it handles and performs on familiar territory.

First impressions upon assembly is that it is well balanced and lightweight, the S-bend grip is comfortable in hand, and the arm rest is of decent size and well padded (I've got pretty thick forearms). :D

The 11" DD coil comes across as having a lower profile than say the similarly sized DD coil on my G2 (G2 feels a tad front end heavy), and as a result appears smaller than its actual size - a coil cover is also included. Definitely liking the headphone positioning at the rear vs on the control box, and the volume control is a real plus, negating the requirement for headphone volume controls. The 6.35mm headphone socket is also protected by a rubber boot for when not in use, and a 3.5mm adapter is also supplied for various headphone choices.

The included headphones are Koss branded KPH7's, they have a nice firm fit so are unlikely to slip off when retrieving targets (unlike some other well known Koss headphones). Will see what the audio is like once out in the field.

The detector shaft is supplied with two twist locks to help prevent any free play in the assembly, and the coil cabling is surprisingly thick and is quite stiff compared to that as seen on other detectors. A spare coil bolt/nut & pair of rubber washers is included.

The screen is the real centre piece of this detector, and as expected is very large, easy to read and navigate through, plus the backlighting is also excellent. First thing I will be doing is making up a screen protector to suit, followed by some aftermarket covers for both the control box and rear battery compartment. I'm not too keen on Makro's factory cover set, as the control box cover looks to have quite a loose fit.

What is a nice touch is the backlit control buttons, something that is all too often overlooked by other brands, and the LED light on the rear of the control box will prove handy for night detecting.

Whilst there is concern that the speaker mounted under the armrest could be damaged or fouled up with soil, an aftermarket cover will be purchased to help prevent such issues. A mid mounted stand would be a good idea to keep the battery compartment and speaker away from the elements, I know of a similar aftermarket stand produced for the Deus which both improves stability and helps to keep things clean.

I did have concerns that the control buttons being mounted on the left might prove awkward to access being left handed. After having a play around with the controls, I found it quite acceptable to just use my forefinger for any adjustments. My partner will be mainly using this detector, and being right-handed it shouldn't be an issue
The most commonly accessed controls for both the ground balance and pinpointing are carried out via the toggle switch under the control box vs the directional control buttons. The toggle switch is also covered with a rubber boot to help protect it from the elements.

The plastics all look to be of good quality. Not sure what they were like on the original Red Racer, considering there were some initial concerns on the quality of the plastics when that detector was first introduced to the market. Will report further down the track on the durability.

All up, a very nice looking unit with a great feature set, especially considering the asking price for the Racer 2. Hopefully we can get a few finds with it over the weekend, and report on how it performed. :)

Please note that this detector was purchased with my own funds, and I am in no way affiliated with Makro nor its dealers.

1458806874_img_20160324_170907.jpg

1458806895_img_20160324_170943.jpg

1458806917_img_20160324_171030.jpg

1458806949_img_20160324_171104.jpg

1458806972_img_20160324_171133.jpg

1458806991_img_20160324_171154.jpg

1458807011_img_20160324_171244.jpg

1458807031_img_20160324_171313.jpg

1458807050_img_20160324_171345.jpg

1458807069_img_20160324_171949.jpg

1458807087_img_20160324_172017.jpg

Very good write-up and excellent detail pics too - thanks for putting this post together for the rest of us. It seems like Makro have designed/built a great package, here's hoping you get some tasty finds with it.

In all honesty, I probably would have purchased this detector as a general coin/relic machine before forking out for the Deus if it had been released sooner. My biggest bug bear with the original Racer was the inability to save program settings, something that has been addressed on the Racer 2. I also wasn't keen on being a guinea pig purchasing a first generation detector with all the inherent issues in doing so. In comparison, he Deus was well proven, and had a lengthy history of development.

You can see where all the added expense of an extra $1000 or so goes on the Deus when comparing with the Racer. A boot load of adjustability, programming and discrimination options, completely wireless, much lighter in weight, 4 frequencies, dedicated prospecting program, longer warranty (5 vs 2 years), and is somewhat future proofed with regular software/hardware updates.

The Racer appears to more suit those who basically want more of a turn on and go coin/relic detector vs wanting to fiddling with too many settings and programs, and that's a good thing for some. My partner hates touching detector settings, all she wants to be able to do is ground balance, pinpoint and dig treasure. :D

Anyway, enough babbling from me, time to get the coil to the soil and hit some relics tomorrow. ;)

maybe you could do a comparison video deus vs black racer, on a couple of targets. Small silver test, and depth test on a shilling. Then a reactivity test :)

GoldPick: A good write up and blurb; as to the pros and cons and why you made the call.

Nenad will tell you that I have been bugging him big time.... Racer 2 Vs Fors Gold +

In the end I went for a Fors Gold + as the CTX3030 does most of what I want for beach and coin. But the Fors Gold+ will complement the CTX3030 for some relic hunting and allow me to have a play in some of the gold fields.

That is, the permissions that the Brisbane Club has and goes to; once or twice a year....

PS. It was almost a Racer 2 and Fors Gold+ and sell the CTX3030.... Depending on how things go, it could still go that way.

PPS. I did once look at the XP Deus but different VDI at different frequencies turned my brain matter into scrambled egg :)

AngerManagement said:
GoldPick: A good write up and blurb; as to the pros and cons and why you made the call.

Nenad will tell you that I have been bugging him big time.... Racer 2 Vs Fors Gold +

In the end I went for a Fors Gold + as the CTX3030 does most of what I want for beach and coin. But the Fors Gold+ will complement the CTX3030 for some relic hunting and allow me to have a play in some of the gold fields.

That is, the permissions that the Brisbane Club has and goes to; once or twice a year....

PS. It was almost a Racer 2 and Fors Gold+ and sell the CTX3030.... Depending on how things go, it could still go that way.

PPS. I did once look at the XP Deus but different VDI at different frequencies turned my brain matter into scrambled egg :)

Personally I prefer the traditional detector setup with screen and all settings up front vs the Fors Core/Gold with the main control box under the arm rest, plus the Racer is about 400 grams lighter which would more suit the Mrs. At the end of the day weight is weight, and it does add to fatigue on long sessions regardless of how well balanced a detector may be.

Regarding the Deus, you can use the ID Norm feature to change the TID's for all frequencies to read the same as on the 17.8kHz frequency. ;)

Latest posts