LPG Bronze brazing and silver soldering torch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some help please.
My oxy/acetylene gas bottles have run out and the cost of replacement is beyond my means.
There is a Bullfinch 4100 in the UK but the price burnt me.
Can anyone recommend a LPG type torch that is suitable for hard bronze welding and silver soldering?

Im not sure youll find anything thats LPG-only, thatll braze or gas weld. The seems to be lots of options around however on lpg/oxy or versions with various other gasses.

This site has a comparison between LPG and acetylene https://www.weldingsupply.com.au/bl...-lpg-propane-as-a-cutting-or-heating-fuel-gas that might be of interest.

This is something that I too need to follow (or research), as I suspect my cylinders leak more gas than I typically burn.

What about a Mapp gas (map-pro) cylinder and A TS8000 swirl flame torch head, burns hotter than propane., its a propadeine, acetylene mix from memory. Looked up your bullfinch kit, tradeflame do a similar kit but they were always notoriously hard to adjust the oxygen. It now looks like they have changed the hose and regulator valves so it may be better.

Have a crack at the map version minus the oxygen.

Whisp said:
Bunnings do Oxy-Acetylene bottles. You don't pay a yearly rent but rather you buy the bottle with a deposit and use the gas and get your bottle deposit back or get a full bottle and only pay for the gas. Seems like a better way for small time users.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=coregas&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

Thank you Whisp, have all the oxy/acet gear here so this is a great option I'll be following up during next Bunnings visit. (We drop in there usually once a week and I didn't know they dealt with oxy/acet. :Y: :perfect: :D

I get mine from Gasweld, buy the bottles so there is no yearly rent and just pay for the gas, same as any swap n go type of deal

https://www.gasweld.com.au/speedgas

Peter, you wanted something cheap is the only reason others and myself put up those small systems

Yes I got sick of paying yearly rent so the swap and go system is good if you bottle last 10 years or 1 month once you have the bottles you only pay for the gas, and there are quite a few places now doing it for welding and cutting and heating gas.

davsgold said:
I get mine from Gasweld, buy the bottles so there is no yearly rent and just pay for the gas, same as any swap n go type of deal

https://www.gasweld.com.au/speedgas

Peter, you wanted something cheap is the only reason others and myself put up those small systems

Yes I got sick of paying yearly rent so the swap and go system is good if you bottle last 10 years or 1 month once you have the bottles you only pay for the gas, and there are quite a few places now doing it for welding and cutting and heating gas.

I thought this was an option, but it looks like eastern states only. Not available over here in the west.

I know the rent on oxy/acet. bottles is high . Perhaps you can get a pair of bottles , second hand , on FB Market place or E-bay ? I did pick up an E- size acet. bottle that had been abandoned in the street . I never used it . Know of a pair of G size bottles been lying in the same spot for 10 years . If you have a mate with a gas account you could get him to get the bottles filled .

Mike678 said:
I know the rent on oxy/acet. bottles is high . Perhaps you can get a pair of bottles , second hand , on FB Market place or E-bay ? I did pick up an E- size acet. bottle that had been abandoned in the street . I never used it . Know of a pair of G size bottles been lying in the same spot for 10 years . If you have a mate with a gas account you could get him to get the bottles filled .

you don't need an account, if you have the bottles, any of the places that do the swap n go type thing, like Bunning,s or gas weld, and even the independent welding supply places like "Everything Welding" here will exchange the bottles, it don't have to be where you got them from first.

No different method to a 9kg LPG bottle system, once you have a bottle/bottles you can swap them anywhere anytime

I have been out of it for more than 10 years. We used to have 10 or more bottles in the factory . One got lost or miss counted , CIG wanted $1,000 for replacing that bottle at that time . They did not get the money . More care was taken on counting them in and out .

Latest posts