Looking for family friendly fossicking camping spots out of Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

WIth September holidays coming up I need to keep my husband happy with gold fever and 3 active kids under 8. We would like to camp near a river. Maybe Oberon, Turon, Bathurst .. Somewhere fun .where I can occupy the kids and my husband can fossick for gold, gem stones or whatever.. Can anyone recommend a remote spot that combines both? We're happy to drive up to 6 hours away from Sydney to do this. We're self sufficient so don't mind no toilets, showers.

Thanks
Renata

Hi Tathrdadj, Thanks for your response.. Just saw this is it really closed ? :http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=377

I'd say Hill End fits the bill nicely apart from camping near a river.
Good camping grounds, close to Bathurst & Mudgee if the kids want to go into town for a day, plenty to see - museums, underground mine tour, Hill End village itself etc., plenty of area to fossick for gold (just not in the village itself or other NPWS heritage areas) which is now a NSW Fossicking District.
It's also close to other areas like Sofala, Hargraves, Windeyer & even Ophir for a day trip.
Most Central West rivers are high at the moment & I'd be hesitant to recommend camping near any but Sofala offers some nice spots too if your keen. Several free camps with minimal or no facilities exist or paid camping on private property at Turon Gates.
There is paid camping at Ophir on the river too.

mbasko said:
I'd say Hill End fits the bill nicely apart from camping near a river.
Good camping grounds, close to Bathurst & Mudgee if the kids want to go into town for a day, plenty to see - museums, underground mine tour, Hill End village itself etc., plenty of area to fossick for gold (just not in the village itself or other NPWS heritage areas) whichever is now a NSW Fossicking District.
It's also close to other areas like Sofala, Hargraves, Windeyer & even Ophir for a day trip.
Most Central West rivers are high at the moment & I'd be hesitant to recommend camping near any but Sofala offers some nice spots too if your keen. Several free camps with minimal or no facilities exist or paid camping on private property at Turon Gates.
There is paid camping at Ophir on the river too.

As above its a great area heading back there myself soon :)

Hi @Renatab. Im allso from sydney city. Are you part of any clubs at all? Im in the parramatta home club and am heading up to windeyer at the end of the month for a fewdays as the dubbo club are hosting a prospecting camp there for there 4th year club anniversary. Im sure you can get intouch with brian thru there facebook page which is under dubbo prospecting ,fossicking and camping theyd be more then happy to have you come along. :) ;)

Hi Happygolucky, Thanks for the invitation to Dubbo. When is it? I just asked to join the group on Facebook. I didn't know there were clubs in Sydney.. We're in Waverley

SUNNY CORNER just a tad this side of bathurst and has a fair bit on you tube, a 3hour drive form sydney, Hill End is a bit further and looks more accessible from the mudgee end , I just obtained a fossicking permit to cover NSW $27.50 just in case an inspector comes along something worth considering, seems like every time I throw a line in the inspecta turns up

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
SUNNY CORNER just a tad this side of bathurst and has a fair bit on you tube, a 3hour drive form sydney, Hill End is a bit further and looks more accessible from the mudgee end , I just obtained a fossicking permit to cover NSW $27.50 just in case an inspector comes along something worth considering, seems like every time I throw a line in the inspecta turns up
The Fossicking Permit you obtained is for NSW State Forests only. If going to Sunny Corner you would need one. A permit isn't required outside of the NSW State forests but there are several other rules that should be followed including land access requirements.
Read more here:
http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.g...ning-and-exploration-in-nsw/fossicking-in-nsw

Hill End is equally accessible from Bathurst or Sofala as it is Mudgee. From Bathurst you can easily get there via Turondale or Wattle Flat/Sofala.

Latest posts