Looking for a spot in NSW please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What_Trigger

Nathan
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering is there anywhere semi close on public ground to the northern NSW border from Stanthorpe or Tenterfield.

I'm looking at purchasing and trying my hand at a highbanker.

Besides Glendon Camping Grounds I don't really have anywhere to run one in QLD.

Or are there people running highbankers in Talgai, Durakai Thanes etc??

any help would be greatly appreciated

You can run one at thanes creek camping grounds.....Because it's private property. ....But its illegal to use a water pump to run a highbanker in Qld and Nsw ...But saying that ....some people still do...you may or may not get caught ;)

Yes, A pump on a High Banker is a Grey area in NSW.
Be a bit careful on some of the area's in the Top Coastal
corner area's. They are Native Claims.
Follow the rules on Digging and muddy water and have respect
for the bush and the land. Always fill your holes in and leave the
area the way it was before you started. If seen to be doing the
right thing, You would be helping the fossicking image that we
are not a bunch of Red Necks.
Have fun and stay safe.
Doug

Smoky bandit said:
You can run one at thanes creek camping grounds.....Because it's private property. ....But its illegal to use a water pump to run a highbanker in Qld and Nsw ...But saying that ....some people still do...you may or may not get caught ;)
The rules are the same regardless of whether it's private property or not. You should be following the requirements of your miners right, permit, licence or guidelines on ALL lands. The idea that you can go outside of these conditions on private property is a myth even if you have the property owners permission to do so!
For QLD :
Permitted activities and materials
Your fossicking licence allows you to search for and collect fossicking materials using hand tools and for recreational, tourist and educational purposes only.

Permitted tools and extent of diggings
Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used. No machinery is permitted.

The only area you can use equipment outside of these conditions would be on a Mining Lease with the Lease Holders permission.

In saying that it is a grey are in both states IMO. I would have no issue using a pump in either NSW or Qld but would be prepared to state my case. You need to know the legislation/fossickers obligations & make up your own mind what you're comfortable doing. Generally if pumps/highbankers are "locally accepted" (like Thanes Creek Campground seems to be) then you won't have issues. If they are frowned upon locally then you may have issues. Old saying when in Rome!

For Northern NSW check out Drake. Some accessible areas but some research is required.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/search.php?search_id=369192575

http://jewellerypirate.com.au/blog/gold-panning-in-drake/

Mbasko ...Didnt you just say you should be following the requirements of you miners right ;) which clealy States. ...the use of machinery is prohibited when digging or processing gravels...As for private property...like thanes creek ..they alow pumps ...so im sure they have done there homework on the legalities of using pumps on private property ....As for a grey area...that also is a myth. ...some people think once you've dug your gravel...with hand held tools...you can then wash your gravel with a pump....being builge. ..or fuel powered...This is not the case...the gravel you are washing is alluval gravel....gravel with possible gold in it...you cant wash this gravel with any type of machinery ...and if you promote this.. than your not doing anyone that prospects in qld or nsw any favors ;)

True in every sense. :) :)
NAPFA is working on having Water Pumps to a certain size being included in the Act.
In NSW, The term "Mechanical Processing " was snuck in within the fossicking act. This was
to prevent the use of trommel's or any thing mechanical driven by a motor.
It has been screwed around to include water pumps but,
The pump it self only transfers the water to your Sluice/Highbanker and starts the fluid separation
of gravels and stones. The water is returned back to the system it came from with the spoils then
being deposited on the ground.
The water act covers the use of water in fossicking.
To my knowledge, No one has been prosecuted by using a water pump with a High Banker.
A few folk's have been asked to move along. I made a small mistake once due to a Mapping error
and when pointed out, I repaired the small amount of "damage " and broadcasted the mistake.
At the same time, It was noted on how I was using the High Banker. Rangers sat and had lunch with me.
I was just a bit embarrassed and they seen that. :8 :lol:
Please,
If you wish to use a High Banker, Don't muddy the water up or dig down banks etc.
Just back fill your hole as you go.
There is a lot of information in here on what to do so put in some quality time in researching
the right information.
I am not asking you to do any thing illegal, Just be comfortable in what you do and do
the right thing.
Cheers,
Doug

Smoky bandit said:
Mbasko ...Didnt you just say you should be following the requirements of you miners right ;) which clealy States. ...the use of machinery is prohibited when digging or processing gravels...As for private property...like thanes creek ..they alow pumps ...so im sure they have done there homework on the legalities of using pumps on private property ....As for a grey area...that also is a myth. ...some people think once you've dug your gravel...with hand held tools...you can then wash your gravel with a pump....being builge. ..or fuel powered...This is not the case...the gravel you are washing is alluval gravel....gravel with possible gold in it...you cant wash this gravel with any type of machinery ...and if you promote this.. than your not doing anyone that prospects in qld or nsw any favors ;)

Smoky bandit said:
There are no different or special rules around the use of pumps or any other machinery for private property - do some research. It is black & white. Ask the Mining Inspectorate!
The wording around pump use in legislation is grey at best. Poorly worded, open to interpretation & in NSW the Water Management legislation allows for the taking of up to 3 megalitres of water required for prospecting or fossicking in any water year.
Like I said know the legislation, your fossickers obligations & make up your own mind what you're comfortable doing. Be prepared to state your case though.

When you guys mention "thanes camping ground" i gather this is different from glendons camping ground.

I know where the thanes fossicking area is but havnt heard where the camping ground is??

Ok thanks, the thanes area is only a couple of kilometers away, so that very well may be it

I was thinking the farmers at thanes may of let people camp on their property.

What_Trigger said:
When you guys mention "thanes camping ground" i gather this is different from glendons camping ground.

I know where the thanes fossicking area is but havnt heard where the camping ground is??
Sorry mate i ment glendons...its on thanes creek :eek:

Latest posts