Linton - suggested areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am heading to Linton on Saturday afternoon and am looking at heading out near the CFA memorial.

Does anyone know this area and if I am just wasting time?

Last weekend I was up near Kelly Lane / Possum Gully intersection but only found lead and rubbish. Hopefully this weekend I will have a bit more luck.

PS: If someone can walk me over a 1kg nugget I would be very grateful :D

Hey mate, not wasting your time, I have seen gold come from a few different places covering the whole area.
Cant help you with the 1kg nugget though as I'm still looking for that one myself.

Gidday Steelpat. A lot of the area is deepish for running the sdc, which i run. But I've done best working the edges of the bigger reefs that have been worked. The area is steeper than the GT and i've found i get what gold i've picked up by detecting the flat plateaus (if that makes sense?) between holes dropping down the slopes.
Not sure about track names but head towards the cemetery and Snake Valley from Linton township and take the first track to your left from the turn off, and a few hundred metres or so up the track (may be slippery after rain) and down to your right is a noticeable reef that is worth checking out.
Another area is reached via the track that runs to the cemetery itself, take the track to the left that skirts just outside the cemetery fenceline. Head up that track for one or two ks and there are lots of workings and a major reef in to your left as you head uphill.
It's a tough area i reckon mate, i've found some nice small nuggets, but FAR more trash.
Good luck.

If I wasn't so busy this weekend I could show you around a little. There are lots of likely looking areas if you drive around a bit. I haven't really encountered the rubbish though but I never work the mullock heaps, I'm guessing that's where most of it would be... There are plenty of nice long gullys to walk.

SCROUNGER said:
Gidday Steelpat. A lot of the area is deepish for running the sdc, which i run. But I've done best working the edges of the bigger reefs that have been worked. The area is steeper than the GT and i've found i get what gold i've picked up by detecting the flat plateaus (if that makes sense?) between holes dropping down the slopes.
Not sure about track names but head towards the cemetery and Snake Valley from Linton township and take the first track to your left from the turn off, and a few hundred metres or so up the track (may be slippery after rain) and down to your right is a noticeable reef that is worth checking out.
Another area is reached via the track that runs to the cemetery itself, take the track to the left that skirts just outside the cemetery fenceline. Head up that track for one or two ks and there are lots of workings and a major reef in to your left as you head uphill.
It's a tough area i reckon mate, i've found some nice small nuggets, but FAR more trash.
Good luck.

Thanks for that. The track that leads off from the cemetery is where I was going to start. There is certainly a lot of good looking ground and hopefully the Zed finds me bits missed by others.

TimAu said:
If I wasn't so busy this weekend I could show you around a little. There are lots of likely looking areas if you drive around a bit. I haven't really encountered the rubbish though but I never work the mullock heaps, I'm guessing that's where most of it would be... There are plenty of nice long gullys to walk.

Yeah I cant say I found a lot of junk last week, especially compared to other areas I have been. If you are ever free on a Saturday perhaps I can talk you into showing me around the area. I'll shout you a beer or lunch in exchange.

No worries mate, sounds good. Pretty busy for the next few weeks but once i'm free for a day trip il let you know. Its on my short list of places to get back to anyway.
Good luck this weekend anyway, you might end up being the one to show me around.

Must be just me with the trash then. You're probably correct Timau because i'm hunting shallow worked areas with the sdc i tend to find plenty of trash when i've been to that area. It's one place i want to concentrate more on once i get a 4500.

Never mind just saw the pic you posted, that's awesome mate!!! So, when are you showing ME around ;)

A mate of mine has been working that area every weekend for the last 12 months. He's worked virtually every gully from town up to kellys rd. He's found some good stuff with his 4500 and 7000. Things have slowed down for him out there now though. The area that was burnt out is still good for a swing however its fairly dense elsewhere.

1434797668_my_nugget.jpg

I should have put 2+2 together from the show and tell forum. Don't mind me, had a few beers haha. Well done mate.
Did you get it away from the diggings?

Latest posts