Leather Gaiters v Canvas Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, whoever designed the full leather gaiters shown further up the thread have also now designed a detector harness in the same range. They're obviously not serious detectorists themselves though, they have 2 hook on points for a bungy (one way too low), and they've made the thing out of Metal WTF?????

1571190395_tumblr_pkx1f3tren1s1njh0_400.jpg

I noticed with their full leather gaiters though, they've really thought it all through much better as they have an open backside in them which I'd imagine could be quite useful when you need to go dig a hole to :poop:

Deepseeker said:
Apparently, whoever designed the full leather gaiters shown further up the thread have also now designed a detector harness in the same range. They're obviously not serious detectorists themselves though, they have 2 hook on points for a bungy (one way too low), and they've made the thing out of Metal WTF?????

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1/1571190395_tumblr_pkx1f3tren1s1njh0_400.jpg

I noticed with their full leather gaiters though, they've really thought it all through much better as they have an open backside in them which I'd imagine could be quite useful when you need to go dig a hole to :poop:

Pretty sure this kit was the first, designed for use with VLF machines in the 70`s the open rear is also the first being designed before the current mesh used in outdoor apparel today :playful:

I went looking at Gaiters today and one shop keeper told me about the behavior of snakes when lashing out to bite you.

He said an adult snake will have a quick go at you and POQ without wasting too much venom , but a younger , immature snake will act like a little fox terrier and grab on and try to sink it`s fangs into you for a bit longer and more or less attack you until it is satisfied it has done a good job on you and in it`s eagerness, has wasted more venom than it needed to .

Anyone`s thoughts on this ?

Puts images in my mind of a snake holding on for dear life as i throw my leg around everywhere trying to get it off !!!!

I bought a set of Rip stop canvas snake chaps custom made for my short little legs :). Cost was $60 posted. They are quite baggy (as stated above) and quite stiff (being new) will start wearing them in. Like the 'ahem cough' items above, they are also crotchless, but me being shy and modest, I will be wearing jeans under them. If anyone is interested in a set, I got mine from here; https://getbelted.com.au/

They have pictures of them on their face page; https://www.facebook.com/Getbeltedh...311874024017/2496311280690743/?type=3&theater

They come in different colors and if you ring them they will probably cut them to suit.

Cheers,
Tom.

My opinion of snakes has changed significantly since moving to victoria 14 years ago. I grew up in the bush around Sydney and although snakes were common they got out of your way very quickly.

The snakes I have encountered down here seem much more reticent to move. We have browns living under our chook house in the veggie patch and they are very reticent to move when you encounter them. I came within 2 strides of stepping on a large tiger earlier this year - he/she just froze and flared its neck. Had I not looked down when I did it may have been nasty. You can imagine stepping on one mid centre, he will just latch on.

So much for stomping around and they get out of your way. Not so sure now.

They look alright. Not sure if i need the pig hunting collar or the chest plate, though !!!

Some of my family use to wear chaps when hay carting ,so that may be another option. I never wore them when stacking the hayshed. Preferred runners and no socks back then. Gee i miss throwing 22 kg square bails around in 40 degree heat, Memories !!!
I haven`t seen any gaiters suited to me ,yet ,so i`ll keep looking ,but the ones in your link are closer to what i am after.

Cheers .

FOZ

Archimedes said:
My opinion of snakes has changed significantly since moving to victoria 14 years ago. I grew up in the bush around Sydney and although snakes were common they got out of your way very quickly.

The snakes I have encountered down here seem much more reticent to move. We have browns living under our chook house in the veggie patch and they are very reticent to move when you encounter them. I came within 2 strides of stepping on a large tiger earlier this year - he/she just froze and flared its neck. Had I not looked down when I did it may have been nasty. You can imagine stepping on one mid centre, he will just latch on.

So much for stomping around and they get out of your way. Not so sure now.

Gotta be on the ball or the snake could be on yours !!!!!

just starting said:
I went looking at Gaiters today and one shop keeper told me about the behavior of snakes when lashing out to bite you.

He said an adult snake will have a quick go at you and POQ without wasting too much venom , but a younger , immature snake will act like a little fox terrier and grab on and try to sink it`s fangs into you for a bit longer and more or less attack you until it is satisfied it has done a good job on you and in it`s eagerness, has wasted more venom than it needed to .
Anyone`s thoughts on this ?
Puts images in my mind of a snake holding on for dear life as i throw my leg around everywhere trying to get it off !!!!
haha I have images of you doing a war dance with snake attached ]:D
my experience with younger snakes is that they are keen to POQ as much as older ones. Some snakes, old & young, just like humans, can have a bad disposition & just want a piece of you if you get in their fight or flight zone.
That said, younger snakes are smaller with smaller teeth .... but don't trust em :skull:

Latest posts