Kogan Metal Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok... I'm going to take one for the team, so to speak. I managed to get a discount code (20% off) for the Kogan metal detector on the popular auction site. Ended up only paying $56 for it ($10 of which was paypal money that I got from doing surveys so out of pocket is only $46). Seems a reasonable figure to pay for something to get a hang for using a metal detector. As much as we will be moving up to Ballarat permanently in a couple of weeks and I get the odd moment up there already... I'm not expecting to find gold with it but have been "inspired" by Heatho's results with his Aldi and figure there are a number of nice parks up that way to play around at and if I'm really lucky maybe I can get some of that pre decimal coinage.
It says it should be delivered by next Tuesday... may not get to use it (at least around Ballarat) for a week or so after that due to now having a job that takes up my daytime hours... might give it a swing close to our current home along the bike path before then... will see. I will be sure to report back here what I think of it and if I find anything, what I get.

Heatho said:
Best of luck with it mate, if you hit the right areas you should do well with it.

Thanks... after viewing your finds I figured it could be a bit of fun while I wait to buy/win a more gold focused detector.
The price was right and there are a few sporting areas and just general walking paths which I figure might produce the odd coin or two... I will keep them together and see how long it takes to pay for itself (if it does ;) )

Well I have to give it to them... that was very fast shipping. I believe I ordered this Wednesday... they attempted delivery Friday (was away during delivery time). So I managed to pick it up today. Haven't had a go yet because I need to get batteries (2 X 9V) and we are busy getting ready to move... but will see if I can get out and have a go either tomorrow or Monday.
1457796574_kogan_detector_control_panel.jpg

1457796575_kogan_detector.jpg

Ok was a bit overwhelmed to start with... looked up the manual online (the one in the box is very basic and actually directs you to the online manual).
Took it out into the back yard and after a bit of mucking around (and "help" from the children) ended up finding the spring mechanism of a clothes peg and the metal bonnet of a toy car. I've put it away now (because the children's "assistance" was a bit tricky to work around)... but happy enough that it is certainly finding targets and should be a bit of fun when we move up to Ballarat. I'm not expecting to find gold (but might go against all advice and give it a try anyway)... but would be very happy to find some old coins and such around the place.
Am I correct that the same areas that are listed as exempt (ie Yarrowee creek) for prospecting also including detecting? I know the creek itself is listed as exempt but was wondering about the walking path/land near it? Could be a nice quiet spot to go for a wander with it.
Anyway... so far so good and hopefully my next swing won't be in my backyard and may result in some interesting finds.

Ok so I've been doing a bit of reading and trying to find where my detector fits in to optional hunts. I know (or at least have read) that for small nugget hunting the frequency would be best around the 12.5 to say 17.5Hz range... my cheapy Kogan detector sits around the 5-6Hz range (according to the manual)... now that's obviously not great for small nuggets but as I understand it that is good for penetration and should go reasonably deep. I know it can detect gold (well it detected my wedding ring anyway) so there is the possibility there but I guess the question is... what size would the nugget have to be for my detector to have a chance at finding it? What are the other things that get in the way of this being a gold detector versus what it is most likely which is a coin and treasure hunter (which I'm fine with... I was just getting a bit keen and with our move up to Sebastopol imminent I'm keen to get out and give it a proper field test rather than backyard).
I'm also lead to believe my detector is decent with mineralised ground... I assume because it's not pulse induction and has a bit more ability to filter? Anyway... I shall continue dreaming till I can get a "grown up detector" ;)

These machines are built to a price, bit of fun to find coins at the beach on holiday. Or take the kids to find goldies at the park :)

Just about any detector will find decent sized gold in relatively mild ground if near or on the surface, though frequency is not the only factor that dictates depth capability. The other part of the equation is the ability to ground balance the detector, or essentially to cancel out the ground mineralisation for targets to be heard at an given depth. Your detector may have a preset ground balance from the factory that may not suit the mineralised ground found in the goldfields, and this will effectively limit the depth of your detector. As Rocket mentioned, the Kogan is not marketed nor really intended for goldfields detecting, and the price reflects as such.

You may also find that the sensitivity control will have to be dropped back a fair way to run stable, this will also affect depth capability and the ability to pick up on small targets.

After mentioning all those factors, if you walk over any decent sized gold that is on or near surface, you may still be able to pick up on it. Whilst not ideal, even detectors like the Garrett Ace 250 running low frequency and preset ground balance have picked up on surface gold in the past, so it's not an impossible feat with a cheaper VLF detector.

The best way to find out for yourself is to head out and give it a go, that's the easiest way to find out the limitations or strengths of your detector. Keep in mind that ground mineralisation is not the only thing you will have to deal with, there is also the dreaded hot rocks thay are common place on the goldfields. They will often signal like good targets and can be hard to deal with if in abundance and with the lack of experience/detector hours. That's why most run with much more expensive PI detectors - a lot less frustrating to use due to the ability to ignore mineralised ground and most hot rocks. :)

Goldpick, thanks for that... I wasn't really expecting it to be "good" for detecting but was just curious if under "best case scenario's" it might have a chance... my theory is, next time I go out for a pan... take it with me and run it over the ground first (not strictly where I will be panning per se but in the general area... perhaps up higher ground way etc)... it's nice and light and shouldn't be hard to pack in with the rest of my stuff... who knows... maybe I will come away with something to show for it (again at least a few old coins would be nice)... worst case scenario I will just go back to panning and find my little specks and flecks ;)

Latest posts