Kilkivan, Near Gympie (Qld) Queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have started doing some research on Kilkivan which is near Gympie in Queensland. I found a really interesting forum which had old posts
from the owner of a local store near Kilkivan. The owner was moving back to Western Australia and basically said there is heaps of gold in the Kilkivan area and gave away a few hints. He mentioned that gold could be found:

Along the first 3km of West Coast Road - including an area called Italian Gully (I found a newspaper article on Italian Gully from the 1800's where a Gold reef was found).

He goes on to say that there is more gold on the low lying country around Mt Booboo (I have no idea how to get there) and
that there is gold in the foothills from the 'rosemore turnoff to the cemetary' - he uses the road 'rosemore' a lot in his posting but I can't find such a road anywhere...
however there is 'Rossmore Rd' which intersects with West Coast Road.

I went for a drive and I found an area that was littered with mineralised quartz and ironstone - by the time I found it I only got a couple of hours there and
it was littered with bits of metal (Grr)...

As of yet I have never personally found any gold - I don't want much, a 0.1gram would be great lol.

I was wondering if there is anyone that either lives up that way or has prospected up that way that could add to my research of the area?

Thanks.

Luke.

hey mate ive been out there a few times....im very apprehensive to actually walk the ground as there are ALOT of claims along with private property and have heard of guns being pulled on people and being told to get out....there is the prophet mine, ive been there multiple times and always pull 0.2 grams or more with the occasional nugget....best idea would be to make 100% sure the land u look at is public property and NOT a claim! there is certainly gold out there and a few people on the forum have got it....more than happy to have a poke around one weekend

Rossmore road is indeed the road he wouldve meant....italian gully is down there aswell as the location of the original township which was torn down and moved when gold was found right under it!

Send me a message with dates, myself and goldagettin will be keen!

Hi fella's. Been up that way a few times and have been getting a bit. Very hard to get access to property. I've givin up on my mate and the misses wont go every weekend. So if anyone is interested I'm keen.

good good tugga where u been getting it from if u dont mind lettin in on secrets?

i would be keen for a dig

Hey guys,

I am keen to meet up. I am 30! - not sure how old the rest of you are (not that it matters). I don't have a 4x4 and last time
I was up West Coast Road I couldn't go any further due to a small bit of erosion in the dirt road.

I have an SD 2000 which does the job fine (plus my pans). It would be great if someone had access to private property
up that way.

Luke.

Hey guys. Sorry should of been a bit more specific, have only been panning and bringing some dirt home. I saw kilkivan mentioned and wanted tomput the feelers out to see if there was anyone keen on working together. The area has been heavily worked but still the get odd bit around .05gr. Can't see why you wouldn't pick them up on the detector. Still working on getting access to private property. If keen to catch up, just let me know. Available most weekends.

Hey guys just wondering if any gold has been found recently around kilkivan?

There is the black snake area that has old gold mine diggings but haven't found anything?

I am using the GPX5000 so should be able to pick up the small stuff.

Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Dean,

Where is the black snake area? I wouldn't mind going out that way and giving it a go with the old SD2000...

Tugga... where are you finding all these 0.5g nuggets mate? - bloody good effort haha

Luke.

I've been up to Black Snake and it is riddled with major open cut mines . Ther were a lot of small claims in a fairly small area and one company took up the lot and dug the lot out .Have a look on Goolge Earth and you will see the mining activity. I think a bit of leg work might produce results . I' m keen if anybody wants to have a look . I's about 50 minutes west of Gympie.

The major mine up there is the shamrock which is under lease by d'aguilar gold and a lot of the old mines are under exploration lease by them to.
I'm working out the back of there and there's gold mines out there to. I going for a look when I'm not busy.
:) Mick

Have you found anything at all resembling the Yellow Stuff up there , or are we just wishfull wanderers. I found an old vertical shaft in the middle of a ridge , good geology , and 12 hrs later could have supplied a fishing charter with his sinkers for the next year.

Went to Kilkivan yesterday armed with sluice and ATX. Signs along awesome stretch of river saying 'trespassers will be prosecuted' and 'No prospecting' the river paralleled or sometimes crossed the road. From reading previous posts, I was under the impression that you could still access rivers as long as you didn't enter private property to get to them. Dropped into the Gympie Gold Museum on the way home and spoke with a guide there. He said rivers are crown land and you can only sluice on banks of private property with owners permission. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can legally sluice in Queensland?

Spent most of the day in Kilkivan and scored permission on a property; adjacent to one of the mine leases.

The owner told me that all land-owners received letters from the Qld. 'govt' (God help us!) which informed the said owners that all gold rights now belong to the Parliament. He said also, 'So keep your mouth shut if you find anything'.

Are any of the Gentle Readers aware of this bit of gangland crap?

I took the time to look at Snake Gully Rd., and the offerings that may be there. It's very interesting country.

Also went up West Coast Rd., and checked out the creek that runs along side it...ah, yes, West Coast Creek, sorry about that. It looks as thought there could be some opportunities there also. A lot of crevicing!

The Copper Mine Creek has some tributaries that have running water and went up quite a way into one of them and see that there is a lot gravel that shows serious promise. Ha! Promises, promises!

Anyway, I'll be there most days now as it's only a 40 minute drive. I will report in should there be any succuss. Oh, and there is the very famous Fat Hen Creek. I've got six months work in front of me.

It's really interesting how all the pine trees are growing all along the old diggings there because of the Chinese diggers who used to eat a lot of pine nuts.

And I thought this was supposed to be a retirement hobby. Well...as a chap told me recently, that since he retired, he's been so busy he couldn't understand how he ever had time to work!

I mentioned about all the pine trees and how the Chinese apparently ate a lot of pine nuts. Well, after sleeping on it; if they ate them, how did all the trees grow over such a uniformed pattern. They almost look as though they were planted deliberately. But that wasn't the case.

Any thoughts on that please.

Latest posts