Keeping track

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to everyone, and apologies if the specifics of this topic have been covered before.

After some advice from the brains trust, meaning all of you about how you keep track of your team mates in the bush.
One of our crew recently had a health scare, so we figured, if one of your team drops, and cant push a button or give a position, how do you find them.

We are considering a dog tracker style system and leave the main receiver unit at camp. If there's an issue then someone goes back and tracks the missing party.

Anyone tried this? Not sure about how a tracker might interfere with the detector.

Any advice appreciated.

PS I already have Garmin Rino's which are capable but rely on people being able to push the position send button.

Thanks
Andrew50

Andrew50 said:
Hi to everyone, and apologies if the specifics of this topic have been covered before.

PS I already have Garmin Rino's which are capable but rely on people being able to push the position send button.

Thanks
Andrew50

With the Rino you can go into your contact list and "poll Location", no need for them to push anything.

Redfin is correct, my wife and I have rino 650's and can see where each other are. If no movement, call on radio, if no response "go to" person.

Sorry - one more question which may be a sticky one - what type of range are your Rinos able to poll at?

I know the radio output is 5w, but handy to know how that translates to distance on the ground (excluding Mt Everest in the way).

Cheers

It is all dependant on the terrain, as you mentioned.
We have only used at about 1500m, in a thickish state forest with undulating ground.

Latest posts