Kalgoorlie Super Pit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mate just sent a pic of the wall slip in the Kalgoorlie Super Pit that happened about 3 months ago.
Unstable wall, stuffed things up a bit, along with water problems.
KCGM have now laid a heap of guys off. he was one of them.
1540032994_superpit_wall_slip.jpg

grubstake said:
I guess that puts paid to the plan they'd talked about to get a bit more ore from the pit by steepening the walls. :N:
Ouch. That is not a problem related to steepening (although as you say, it might prevent it). Classical wedge failure - good nobody was on the haulway at the time.

Goldchaser hasnt posted for a few days...caught him pulled over having a nap right about there a few days back

The Pit's current expected life runs to only about 2021, & with the water issues they have & layoffs happening its not a good sign.
It might be about to become Kalgoorlie's newest playground .....a Water Ski Lake ...... well maybe in a decade or 2 when it fills & stabilises.
just for interest, it is stated as approx. 3.5km long x 1.5km wide x over 600m deep

madtuna said:
Goldchaser hasnt posted for a few days...caught him pulled over having a nap right about there a few days back
maybe he's been playing with the ANFO!! :skull:
or hes out chasing gold :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :playful:
or worse still, hes joined the Gold Hunters programme :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ded Driver said:
A mate just sent a pic of the wall slip in the Kalgoorlie Super Pit that happened about 3 months ago.
Unstable wall, stuffed things up a bit, along with water problems.
KCGM have now laid a heap of guys off. he was one of them.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12692/1540032994_superpit_wall_slip.jpg
I was there about 1 week after the slide :D
Glad not to have been there at the time at happened , may have been a OH :poop: Moment
But pics just dont cut it on how BIG that hole is . Its Freakin HUGE :eek: And some of the rock that moved are BIgger than the trucks used AND THERE HUGE :p
But is an Awesome sight to see with your own Eyes .

Magilla said:
I hope they fill in their hole.

might take them a while :lol:

Makka, all mine leases here are only granted with approval of an environmental plan, but as we well know, its not feasible to backfill big mines.
Its ironic tho that the small time detectorists & other small scale surface miners get hammered by the rules.
A note on the super pit, there is a literal mountain of overburden built up on the east & south side of the pit. I don't foresee it ever being moved :argh:

Magilla said:
I hope they fill in their hole.
Nope. I bet Kalgoorlie council will like it for landfill. A pity it is not a bigger city - Melbourne has filled every one of its old quarries with our garbage, and there are company buildings on top that use the methane gas generated. Beats building garbage islands, like in Manhattan.....

Ill bet that came down with a mighty rumble and impressive dust cloud! So good to hear there were no casualties. No second chances under that lot, even inside a machine.

aussiefarmer said:
Pan it :playful: :goldpan:

I had that exact thought AF! I wonder how many lifetimes (and pans) it would take to get through it all? I'll grab my shovel... :lol:

It'd be daunting standing close enough to see the amount of tonnage that is sitting there.

Syndyne said:
It'd be daunting standing close enough to see the amount of tonnage that is sitting there.
IT IS!!
to see a literal man-made mountain. It may not be really high, but its high enough, & near as long & wide as the hole itself. :eek:
That could certainly provide a LOT of backfill-infill for a fair few years!
And what a ski lake Kalgoorlie will have one day :D

Latest posts