Jumpsuit or alternative for prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am doing my head in trying to find some clothing that i can wear prospecting in central australia. I figure i won't be showering for a couple weeks at a time due to the remote and dry places I'll call home and I've only got 100l of water so not enough to spare for a shower. I know how that red sand gets everywhere exposed. I'm thinking a jumpsuit of some sort that's breathable and lightweight for the hot climate. That way I'll only have to wash my hands when i get back to camp. Have looked into painters suits and beekeepers suits. Any suggestions welcomed

If you wear gumboots .. Youl be able to collect some extra water ... Not sure id like to bath in it though :lol:

Try this and a daily sponge bath 8) :D

1412995624_borat.jpg

Go native. loincloth and wash with dirt. :D get a head net for flies etc too.
I have seen an aviator/pilot jumpsuit but dunno where ya get 'em. look light weight. I reckon those vests with pockets for ice packs could be a goer too, if ya can freeze the packs. mbe have a look at Workplace clothing stores.

We have white sperm suits (as we call them) in our asbestos kits at work which are really light weight with a hood and elastic cuffs to keep the dust out, not sure if they're breathable but they're white which would help reflect the sun/heat. Agree with above and a workplace clothing store would have some good idea's.
The wipes/wet ones will be the go too for a quick pommy wash (no offence to pommy's intended) :D

I'm still smiling?? at the vision of people walking round the goldfields of central Australia in 40 degree heat in white Bunnings disposables. Take a few lots of comfortable light clothes, then you can wash them all at the next town's laundromat. We have 105ltrs for 2 of us and I suppose being on tank water, we are very careful. A good wash plus huggies does the trick. We've been back a few weeks from 3 months in remote areas, a couple of weeks at a time and you just top up with water whenever you can. Most times it was mid 30's.

One of the things I use to conserve water is a sprayer bottle. You can get the ones that you pump up. These hold a small amount of water and gets used for a quick rinse. You could shower every second day with one of these lasting a week. Quick spray down, concentrate on key areas if needed :) It goes a long way. Try it at home first to see what you think.

I had thought about the larger ones as an option around the 10lt but this may not be practical.

This is what I used and has lasted several trips. It is better than pouring which you waste a lot - https://www.masters.com.au/product/900004146/pressure-sprayer-1l

I also thought of the light weight coveralls, these also have plastic studs so you don't need to worry about metal either. http://www.hardyakka.com.au/lightweight-cotton-drill-coverall-154.html

Even the bib and brace style and you can alternate a t-shirt, jumper, as needed ?

Best of luck sounds like a great trip.

ProspectorPete said:
We have white sperm suits (as we call them) in our asbestos kits at work which are really light weight with a hood and elastic cuffs to keep the dust out, not sure if they're breathable but they're white which would help reflect the sun/heat. Agree with above and a workplace clothing store would have some good idea's.
The wipes/wet ones will be the go too for a quick pommy wash (no offence to pommy's intended) :D

OIIII, wot you mean about a pommy wash then eh? :eek: i'll have you know we bathe every Saturday night whefer we need it or not ! even the queen, her royal missus. God bless her corgies. :p

Sperm suits will make you sweat so much, as they don't breath, and you will probably get heat stroke wearing one around in the desert.

Best just wear some good cotton trousers and either some lackies to hold the trouser cuffs over your boots, or some sock protectors.

Definitely pack a few packs of baby wipes to shower with, they are also cool (if you don't leave them in the sun)

Lackies...

27A1C9B5E574EFDA921555FF37A9E5F0.jpeg

the blue chux like suits are better. used both in the desert for high pressure blasting. the white ''plastic'' type are more water resistant of course, but a sauna to wear. in reality, you need to be in ''desert mode'' train, diet, months before the trip.

Check out the range of long fishing shirts/pants at BCF or the like. Designed for keeping cool and sun protected.

Work wear stores stock overalls, hi vis ones , cotton drill painters duds and you can even get sleeveless overalls.
Id give that a go for starters, depends on the terrain you plan to cover, distance from camp and what your planning on carrying around.

Jacko said:
I'm still smiling?? at the vision of people walking round the goldfields of central Australia in 40 degree heat in white Bunnings disposables. Take a few lots of comfortable light clothes, then you can wash them all at the next town's laundromat. We have 105ltrs for 2 of us and I suppose being on tank water, we are very careful. A good wash plus huggies does the trick. We've been back a few weeks from 3 months in remote areas, a couple of weeks at a time and you just top up with water whenever you can. Most times it was mid 30's.
What are the huggies for??? Wasnt he talking cleanliness not continence

Latest posts