Jackpot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunta69

Grant Stewart
Reaction score
Hi all didn't have time to go out bush today so my daughter and I had a play with our at gold in our yard and came up with three penny's and four half penny in one hole . Also a 1 cent piece and a dollar coin and 1 sinker. Does anyone know the best way to clean copper coins regards grunta from Bairnsdale. :)

Good finds Grunta69. The only cleaning I do to copper coins is a wash with soapy water, dry off and a rub with some olive oil. That's it. I've tried alot of other cleaning methods but they all damage the coins. If anyone else has a better idea, let me know.

100% agree with Scoopa, warm soapy water to get the dirt off, other than that I don't think there's much else you can do without damaging the coin. I've heard people suggest throwing them in a tumbler, but I haven't yet seen the results from this process so I can't really comment on how well it works.

Final Telly for today all found within a two meter radius 3 one penny's 1931,three penny's from 1950 to 1960, 2 one half penny's 1929, 4 half penny's 1945 to 1951, and last of all first silver, 2 three pence 1960 all without leaving the farm gotta be happy with the at gold.:)

Thxs scoopa yeah quite happy with the at gold haven't found that elusive nugget yet but that's the thrill of the hunt.going out deptford way next week so maybe? :)

1380154017_phpo134hq_c2pm.jpg

Some of the coins found

Great finds, I had a similar situation a month ago. I found a few pennies and a nice florin. All in my backyard, with the AT Gold.

Cheers
Waz

I heard of someone finding a half sovereign on a beach north of Sydney. Love to find one myself as I think they got around $600 for it

In regards to cleaning the coins .... Would coke help ? I have heard in the past that leaving coins in coke, cleans them. I havent done any detecting yet, saving for my machine.
Has anybody used coke ???

Robyn

I believe that was more the case with an old coke recipe but not the stuff we drink today.

I actually just googled " cleaning old coins " and coke came up. I have copied and pasted this , they reckon its one of the best ways without damaging the coins, copied following .....

Collecting coins is a great pastime. Because most coins have been in circulation for years, they are generally very dirty. Coins that have been found through metal detection are particularly dirty because they've been exposed to dirt and the elements for long periods of time. One of the easiest ways to clean coins is with Coke.

Robyn

Coke is still coming on quite a few different sites as being the best method today.

Robyn

Found this too , seems vinegar is another one .... Cleaning coins is a tricky business. Collectors look at the patina on coins as part of the history of the coin, especially on gold coins, where the better the patina the higher is the value. The only time valuable coins are cleaned is when they are recovered from the ocean. Less valuable coins are cleaned to make them more attractive and shiny when used in crafts or jewelery. The acetic acid in vinegar mixed with the sodium chloride in salt gently removes crusted dirt from copper, brass and dark silver coins, jewelry, other collectibles.

I guess there is a few different methods out there.

Robyn

I've heard stories of the older stuff being used to clean up crime scenes (blood especially), clean coins, jewellery and even eat through a 1" thick steak overnight, but I have tried cleaning an old Penny with today's coke and it really doesn't do anything special.

P.S. If we're only talking about cleaning dirt of then yes, coke would have a similar cleaning ability to water. But for oxidation and the like you'll need something stronger guaranteed.

I posted a method of using a glass dish, put your coins onto of a piece of aluminium foil not covering the whole dish, just enough for the coins to sit on, fill with boiling water and then put lectric soda flakes on top (a couple of tablespoons) leave for 15-20 mins, the recipe then says brasso but I'm not sure how needed it is. I did a 1920 penny in it last night and it was pretty successful. It just depends how corroded the coin is to begin with as to how well it comes out. On the advice from another forum member I tried cloudy ammonia which worked well too. The couple of silvers I've found came up great just massaging some bi carb soda into them with a bit of water.

Nugget, how about forum topic for cleaning coins/relics with before and after pics? I'd be happy to do a few experiments!

Latest posts