It's so wrong

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishfull said:
bicter said:
What really gets up my nose is traveling 25 minutes to the nearest green shed to buy some 6mm eye bolts, traveling 25 minutes home and finding the thread isn't 6mm (Just the eye). Its an annoying American thread, then a couple of days later heading in again to get a load rated snap hook and having to ask the "expert" at the shed to translate the rating strain stamped on said snap hook from Lbs to kg.

Anyone got the number for Weights & Measures?

Anything else **** you off that's rational :)
Easy enough to Google lbs to kg

Agreed, however it would be difficult to find someone under the age of thirty that is even aware that pounds exist.

I spent 20 odd years in a safety focused engineering environment and having safety equipment rated in pounds is, in my opinion, an accident waiting to happen.

bicter said:
snafu said:
Only 25 minutes to the green shed Bicter, that's bugger all, I'm four and a half hours away from the closest one. I do 2 trips a year to get the things I have researched and if I can't find what I'm looking for, I spend a most enjoyable few hours searching - I come across things that I never knew existed.

The problem with most people today is that they are always in a rip roaring hurry and imo that causes stress leading to illogical thinking resulting in mistakes.

Slow down a bit and as Creekbed said, do your research first - then you can only blame yourself if you chose the wrong item.

If I went any slower, I'd be going backwards :)

Its not the distance, it's the fact that the item wasn't fit for purpose, necessitating putting the 5 minute job on hold until I got it sorted. I don't need that and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people wouldn't either.

I think it's entirely logical to expect an eyebolt described in metric measurements to have a metric thread.

Out of interest, do you research every individual item you're considering purchasing? Must take up a lot of your time :)

And yet you said that it was 1/4" Whitworth which the last time I looked wasn't metric either, but Whitworth and UNC are so close that they are interchangeale.

not recommended to fit these 2 different threads together if the part needs to bolted with moderate to full tension as the threads don't seat properly. Normal use with a spring washer is ok.
BSW thread =55deg
UNC thread =60deg
I think most sizes fit ok except for the 1/2" as BSW =12tpi & UNC =13tpi

Whisp said:
bicter said:
snafu said:
Only 25 minutes to the green shed Bicter, that's bugger all, I'm four and a half hours away from the closest one. I do 2 trips a year to get the things I have researched and if I can't find what I'm looking for, I spend a most enjoyable few hours searching - I come across things that I never knew existed.

The problem with most people today is that they are always in a rip roaring hurry and imo that causes stress leading to illogical thinking resulting in mistakes.

Slow down a bit and as Creekbed said, do your research first - then you can only blame yourself if you chose the wrong item.

Its not the distance, it's the fact that the item wasn't fit for purpose, necessitating putting the 5 minute job on hold until I got it sorted. I don't need that and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people wouldn't either.

I think it's entirely logical to expect an eyebolt described in metric measurements to have a metric thread.

Out of interest, do you research every individual item you're considering purchasing? Must take up a lot of your time :)

And yet you said that it was 1/4" Whitworth which the last time I looked wasn't metric either, but Whitworth and UNC are so close that they are interchangeale.
Yeah, you're correct.
Initially I assumed it was UNC as the eye bolt fitted in their UNC thread tester and not the M6 tester. It wasn't until I saw the link to eyebolts previously on this thread that I realised it was Whitworth.

Ded Driver said:
not recommended to fit these 2 different threads together if the part needs to bolted with moderate to full tension as the threads don't seat properly. Normal use with a spring washer is ok.
BSW thread =55deg
UNC thread =60deg
I think most sizes fit ok except for the 1/2" as BSW =12tpi & UNC =13tpi

Great post DD,
You have explained threads to a degree, especially the 1/2"BSW & UNC.

bicter said:
snafu said:

Practically everything due to the distance and infrequent visits. As far as hardware items like nuts, bolts, screws, washers etc, I buy in bulk quantities whenever my stocks dwindle. Nothing worse than starting a repair job or new project and then finding that I don't have the gear to continue. Generally though, if I haven't got something, my mate on a nearby claim has got it and vice versa. Failing that, I've got the material, tools and expertise to make a lot of required items - some rod, an oxy torch and a set of stocks & dies and I could knock up an eye bolt quicker than you could drive to the green shed.

had 5 mins at work today to confirm my memory hasn't failed me yet. Pulled out my trusty old Ajax bolting book & scanned relevant info to share.
The BSW & UNC threads are a close match, except that pesky 1/2" size (12tpi vs 13tpi)
It can also be seen why an M20 nut can be run down a 3/4" bolt (3/4" =19.05mm), with UNC 10tpi & M20 pitch2.5 equiv to 10.2tpi, but it will be loose.
1567497033_thread_form_1a.jpg

1567497048_thread_form_2b.jpg

Latest posts